The New Food Economy is an award-winning non-profit newsroom using independent, deep, and unbiased reporting to investigate the forces shaping how and what we eat. We are the home of a new kind of food journalism to tell the urgent, under-reported stories of a changing system no one can opt out of.
We report the news in voice with an analytical eye, humanize policy, and survey the landscape from all sides – conventional and organic, Democrat and Republican, vegan and carnivore – because our readers want not only to understand food, but also see themselves and their experiences reflected in the stories we tell.
The New Food Economy has carved out a unique niche that provides it with a strong reputational advantage. As a leading non-profit newsroom in the food and agriculture space, The New Food Economy is a respected, fierce advocate of journalistic independence in the traditions of the great newsrooms. The organization is a member of the Institute for Nonprofit News. For additional information, please visit www.newfoodeconomy.org.
The New Food Economy seeks a hands-on and strategic Director of Development with high initiative to lead the design and implementation of development initiatives in major gifts, institutional giving, and sponsorships in support of the newsroom, operations and food-related events, being planned for 2019. The Director of Development will play a key role in identifying donor prospects using The New Food Economy’s existing networks and connections, as well as through personal established networks. He/she will then develop, solicit and steward these prospects in support of The New Food Economy’s mission. The Director of Development will also lead on-going growth in donations and establish improved fundraising systems.
The Director of Development is a senior position and will report to the Founder and Publisher and will work closely with the Editor and will have one part-time direct report. Our preference is for the position to be based in the New York City region, but consideration will be given to candidates who prefer to work from other locations with easy travel connections to New York City.
- Lead the design and execution of new development initiatives in major gifts, institutional giving, and sponsorships to broaden and deepen The New Food Economy’s funding
- Identify and develop foundation, individual, and corporate prospects to support the organization’s fundraising priorities
- Envision and pursue other potential revenue streams and programs to diversify and grow New Food Economy’s revenue base.
- Partner with the Founder and Publisher, Editor as well as staff in developing cultivation strategies for significant major donors to achieve annual Development goals
- Develop a plan to strengthen relationships with existing donors, cultivate relationships with new donors, and maintain productive personal contact with current and potential major donors and partners
- Build, maintain, and maximize partnerships
- Lead and collaborate on proposal and grant writing
- Effectively communicate the organization’s work to potential donors and partners
- Provide leadership in development while upholding organizational values
- Create development-specific communications, including a case for support, proposal templates, and other materials necessary to promote the organization to prospective donors
- Stay abreast of current thinking and strategies in the fundraising field, specifically Major Gifts, Institutional Giving and trends across the philanthropic sector
- Monitor and evaluate activities to ensure that the fundraising goals are being achieved
- Prepare regular progress reports, budgets, receipts, and expenditures
- Minimum 5-8 years of experience in development with significant focus on major gifts, institutional giving and sponsorship development in a leading role
- Highly self-motivated with the ability to work collaboratively with others
- Knowledge of or experience with media entities strongly desired
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Proven track record in achieving annual funding in major gifts, institutional giving and sponsorship development
- Exceptional written communication and presentation skills
- Strategic and creative thinker with the ability to link The New Food Economy’s mission and program objectives with donors’ interests and priorities
- Precise and accurate, detail oriented preparation and planning for meetings with prospective donors
- Experience in identifying new donor prospects
- Experience in personally managing the cultivation and solicitation of individual major gifts
- High initiative
- Strong analytical, organizational, prioritization and administration skills
- Superb ability to build and cultivate relationships
- Comfortable and skilled in working with numbers, budgets and revenue management
- Interested in and committed to the mission of The New Food Economy
- Outstanding proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and donor databases; Salesforce experience preferred.
- Roots in the Midwest preferred
- Located in Greater New York City Region, but consideration will be given to candidates who prefer to work from other locations with easy travel connections to New York City.
There are many fantastic benefits to a career at The New Food Economy. In addition to becoming an essential part of the award winning newsroom using independent, deep and unbiased reporting to investigate the forces shaping how and what we eat, The New Food Economy offers its staff a business casual environment, partial-week remote work, with generous benefits and a competitive salary. At The New Food Economy we enjoy working in a team-based environment and value the benefits of a diverse workplace. The New Food Economy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How to Apply
If you have the qualifications outlined and want to make a difference every day, please send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Director of Development in the subject line. Qualified candidates will be contacted by phone and/or email.