Groove With Me, Inc. is a youth development organization using free dance classes and performance opportunities as a tool to instill in young women the leadership, pride, spirit of cooperation, creativity, joy and discipline needed to confront the adversity in their daily lives and throughout their future development. The program seeks to decrease teen pregnancy, truancy, crime, violence, prostitution, substance abuse and gang related activity by nurturing youth, building self-confidence, offering positive choices, and providing a safe place to go.
We serve 400 girls in East Harlem.
We are looking for an energetic, compassionate, and experienced team player. In partnership with the Executive Director, the Program Director will spearhead Groove With Me’s programs which include dance classes, teacher training, performances, workshops, and special events. Groove With Me is an ever growing and evolving organization that requires an entrepreneurial spirit and the ability to wear many hats.
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteer dance teachers. Continuously update postings at schools and volunteer websites. Network to help recruit teachers. Thoroughly screen potential teachers. Match new teachers with current teachers for training.
- Develop up-to-date training materials and expectations for volunteers and participants. Advise teachers and support them in classroom management.
- Assess the needs of program participants and provide necessary services. Refer participants to outside agencies, health centers, and social workers as needed. Collaborate with parents to resolve any concerns.
- Monitor and manage program outcomes to ensure that program goals are fully met. Utilize evaluation processes and database to make assessments.
- Coordinate all aspects of organization-wide performances
- Manage in house organization-wide events, e.g.“ POP Week”
- Direct activities within the dance studio, including over 38 weekly dance classes, workshops, and implement Summer Grooves program
- Run the Teen Leadership Committee aimed at exploring identity and leadership skills through various group and individual activities
- Conduct “Art as a Catalyst” program. Create a curriculum with teaching artists to operate in a junior high or high school. Use art for youth to express their feelings about gun violence and how they can be agents of change.
- Assist with annual fundraising event – plan performance component, produce youth presentations
- Develop recruitment strategies and implement community outreach to ensure that enrollment goals are fully met
- Prepare and submit quarterly performance reports for Executive Director and Board
- Attend weekly meetings with Executive Director to discuss performance outcomes and challenges; develop and implement corrective measures to overcome challenges; ensure that program milestones and outcomes are met
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director
- Fluency in Spanish required
- BA (required), MA (a plus); Preferred areas of study: Social Work, Arts Administration, Women’s Issues, Disadvantaged Populations, and/or Community Development
- Minimum of 5 years experience with youth development
- Experience managing teams, particularly volunteers
- Experience creating an art-based curriculum
- Superb customer service
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven ability to develop strong relationships with student, parents, teachers, co-workers
- Strong attention to detail
- Solid interpersonal skills and desire to help others
- Self-starter and ability to multi-task
- Ability to encourage adherence to and enforce policies for all students, parents, and other stakeholders
- Fantastic time management and ability to meet deadlines
Number of years experience and level of education will impact compensation.
The range is $55-$66K.
Must speak Spanish
How to Apply
Please send cover letter!, resume, references to firstname.lastname@example.org