American Humane seeks a creative, detail-oriented, and highly-motivated Communications Specialist to promote the mission of the organization and to serve as the primary media contact for the President & CEO. The position will help develop, implement, and manage strategies around earned and social media in an organization with a nearly 150-year-old legacy. This position is based at American Humane’s headquarters in Washington, DC and reports directly to the National Director, Communications
Founded in 1877, American Humane is committed to ensuring the safety, welfare and well-being of animals. Our leadership programs are first to serve in promoting and nurturing the bonds between animals and humans. We are first to serve, wherever animals are in need of rescue, shelter, protection or security. Through our innovative leadership initiatives – from our “No Animals Were Harmed®” program in Hollywood to broad-based farm and conservation animal welfare certifications, to rapid response rescue and care across the country – American Humane sets the gold standard as the most visionary and effective animal welfare organization in the nation.
Responsible for promoting the mission and work of American Humane and serves as the primary media promotion lead for its President and CEO. Assist the American Humane communications team in developing and implementing strategies around earned and social media for the organization. The Communications Specialist will coordinate media opportunities, produce written materials and ensure quality and consistency in messaging with master brand of the organization.
National Director, Communications
- Pitch members of the press (i.e. reporters, television network producers, etc.) on a regular basis, primarily for the President and CEO.
- Help develop and implement strategic media outreach plans for specific announcements, programs and events.
- As needed, prepare internal and external spokespeople for media appearances to ensure that they publicly represent the organization in an accurate, positive manner.
- Serve as the lead on-site media liaison for all CEO centered press appearances, including: American Humane events with press attendance (e.g. congressional briefings, the K-9 Medal of Courage, Hero Dog Awards, etc.); in-studio television appearances; press conferences; and interviews on location (e.g. during a rescue mission), among others.
- Build and maintain productive working relationships with members of the press to maximize opportunities for earned media coverage.
- Write and distribute press releases, as well as public statements on behalf of the CEO and organization; keep up-to-date distribution lists for press releases and announcements.
- Serve as lead writer responsible for producing and pitching editorial content (i.e. letters and op-eds) on behalf of the CEO. Assist with other American Humane publications as needed.
- Assist with managing social media accounts and website for the President and CEO as well as some American Humane programs to increase brand recognition and maximize outreach efforts.
- Field questions from the media.
- Oversee booking and production of CEO’s radio, video and other audio appearances.
- Provide additional media and writing support for American Humane, including fundraising and development efforts.
Essential experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- At least three years of professional experience in public relations, communications, media relations, or related field.
- Must love to pitch and demonstrate results.
- Strong communication skills with proven ability to present, write and edit, and to do so in a clear, concise, well-organized and well-articulated manner.
- Ability to change voice and writing style to fit a particular audience and purpose.
- Self-disciplined, entrepreneurial, action-oriented style that thrives in a start-up environment; strong work ethic.
- Ability to produce high-quality work on deadline and under pressure. Comfortable managing multiple projects, priorities and deadlines at one time.
- Ability to think proactively, take initiative and see tasks through to completion with appropriate follow-up.
- Sound judgment and discretion in handling and securing confidential information, as well as the ability to conduct oneself in a highly professional manner.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to establish and implement systems and identify resources to ensure the successful completion of projects. Ability to create and maintain files, recording systems and communication protocols.
- Flexibility to work as part of a team or independently and across departments to meet goals in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer and office technology including applications for project and data management and electronic calendars (Windows, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook preferred). Ability to quickly learn software specific to the department or institution.
Physical demands and work environment:
- Position is based in Washington, DC.
- Position operates in a standard office environment and must be o.k. with occasional animals in the office or at work related events.
- Travel required, 25-50% at times
- Occasional need for hours beyond regular office hours, including some evening and weekend work
Employees are expected to adhere to all organizational policies and to act as role models, demonstrating American Humane’s core values:
Respect for all
Loyalty to mission
Honesty, integrity, trust
American Humane is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages diverse candidates to apply
How to Apply
To apply, please visit https://americanhumane.applytojob.com/apply/u5GMl3geRv/Communications-Specialist