Established in 1989, the Asian American Federation (AAF) is a pan-Asian nonprofit leadership organization that represents and supports a network of nearly 70 Asian American community service organizations in New York City, which work in the fields of health & human services, education, economic development, civic participation, and social justice. AAF’s mission is to raise the influence and well-being of the pan-Asian American community through research, policy advocacy, public awareness, and organizational development.
Reporting to the Research and Policy Director, the Advocacy and Policy Manager will be responsible for managing AAF’s advocacy agenda, building partnerships and coalitions, and guiding our internship program. Our current advocacy agenda includes the 2020 Census, economic empowerment, immigration, mental health, nonprofit support, and senior services.
Research and Policy Director
- Working closely with the Research and Policy Director to update AAF’s advocacy agenda and policy priorities using the organization’s research as well as input from member agencies in order to address the most urgent needs of the pan-Asian American community;
- Planning and implementing advocacy strategies at the city, state, and federal levels, including active engagement of members and their constituents, as well as other organizations and coalitions. Examples include writing briefing papers and sign-on letters, arranging press conferences and rallies, and organizing planning meetings and calls with partners;
- Monitoring and assessing the impact of policy and budget issues at the city, state, and federal levels to ensure that AAF’s policy agenda is responsive and relevant;
- Working with the Research and Policy Director to convene the Policy Advisory Committee to measure the impact of key policies on the pan-Asian American community;
- Developing and maintaining relationships with elected and appointed public officials, other key leaders, and mainstream and ethnic media in partnership with the Development and Communications Manager;
- Recruiting, training, and managing seasonal interns to support AAF’s research and policy work; and
- Promoting understanding and support of AAF’s policy work among funders and donors.
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree in a related field strongly preferred
- 2-3 years’ experience in community organizing
- 1-2 years’ experience with legislative advocacy and policy development
- Proficiency in an Asian language a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with exceptional attention to detail, including high-level proofreading and editing abilities
- Exceptional organizational skills, with demonstrated ability to manage concurrent multiple assignments, meet tight deadlines, and prioritize accordingly
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated commitment to Asian American communities and AAF’s mission
Salary is up to $58,500 per year, commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package includes generous paid time off, health, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance, as well as a 403(b) plan.
How to Apply
Please email cover letter, resume, and writing sample with [Last Name] Advocacy and Policy Manager in the subject line to HR@aafederation.org. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, and the position will begin immediately. No phone calls, please.
The Asian American Federation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.