Columbia University is geared as never before to address world issues from climate change to social justice. The Columbia Commitment builds partnerships with donors and volunteers sharing an urgent sense of what Columbians can do for our students and the world.
The Deputy Director plays a lead role in corporate and foundation fundraising at the University. The position reports to the Deputy Vice President for University Development and Foundation Relations is closely aligned with the Donor Relations team. The individual in this role works closely with Principal Gifts Officers, School-based CFR Officers, Sponsored Projects Administration, Donor Relations, and Prospect Development. The Deputy Director monitors corporate and foundation trends, tracks and disseminates potential funding opportunities, supports proposal submission, ensures proper stewardship and reporting, and brings CFR officers together from across the University to increase communication, collaboration, and ensure best practices in order to elevate CFR funding across the University.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serve as residential expert in understanding and assuring compliance with foundation processes and preferences for submission and evaluation of proposals.
- Support faculty, development staff, and University leaders in foundation proposal submission - including, but not limited to:
- Consult on project viability.
- Compile grant proposals (gathering supporting materials, making recommendations to increase likelihood of funding, developing budgets, editing copy, obtaining institutional signatures, etc.).
- Submit proposals.
- - Facilitate outreach with foundation program officers and principals and arrange campus visits.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of University/program development priorities; work closely with Prospect Development to identify and research potential funders; work proactively with Office of Research to monitor RFPs and disseminate funding opportunities to appropriate schools and units.
- Work within relevant University research and administrative policies and procedures (e.g., sponsored projects, technology and licensing, budget and finance, gift systems, faculty appointments, etc.).
- Collaborate with necessary partners to expedite account creation for grants received and monitor reporting and large grant pledges.
- Ensure reporting meets expectations of private and corporate foundations.
- Implement processes to track grant reporting due dates, reminding and supporting faculty and staff when appropriate.
- Serve as a resource to help companies and foundations navigate the University.
- Plan and execute regular meetings bringing together CFR staff from across the University to discuss best practices, trends in foundation and corporate giving, and to review University-wide foundation activity and opportunities.
- Ensure all relevant CFR information is housed and maintained within Advance.
- Supervise the Associate Director of Donor and Foundation Relations
Bachelor degree required. Minimum of five years of professional work experience in a competitive environment required. Three to five years of work experience in a foundation/corporate relations division of a research university or equivalent experience. Proficiency in Microsoft Office required. This position requires evening work and travel, as necessary.
Incumbent must think creatively and be able to strategically articulate and implement programmatic vision. Must possess excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to work both independently and as a member of a team that is comprised of a broad range of faculty and staff. Prioritization and project management skills required.
Advance degree desirable.
Columbia University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
How to Apply
Please apply here: https://jobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=173464