Friends of Cedar Mesa (FCM) is a 501(c)(3) conservation organization in Bluff, Utah founded in 2010. FCM envisions a future where the public lands in San Juan County - with all their natural, cultural and recreational values - are protected and respected. To achieve this goal, we work to educate visitors about respectful recreation in the Bears Ears National Monument, monitor cultural sites, effect change through research and service projects, improve land management policies, and engage citizens in advocacy.
Friends of Cedar Mesa is looking for a full-time Communications & Development Manager/Director who will have the overall responsibilities of managing external communications and growing the organization’s base of support. The Manager/Director will be the driver in promoting the visibility and reach of the organization through developing and building written and online content and promoting the organization’s branding. The Manager/Director will work closely with the Executive Director in all development and fundraising activities. The Manager/Director will be expected to work the occasional weekend and several weeknights/month. The position will require frequent regional and sometimes national travel. This is a permanent position but is dependent on annual funding.
- Developing an annual communications plan in coordination with all staff
- Maintaining FCM’s branding and messaging in all external communications
- Maintaining and keeping website up to date
- Building and pushing out content on website and social media channels
- Writing press releases
- Creating graphics for events and other program needs
- Sending regular newsletters to communicate with FCM supporters
- Identifying grant opportunities
- Grant writing & reporting
- Running donor reports
- Working with the Executive Director on donor development
- Organizing regional and national “friendraiser” events
- Working with ED to plan and execute annual appeals
- Working with Administrative Coordinator and Program staff to coordinate events
- Assisting staff in other projects and programs as needed, especially Celebrate Cedar Mesa.
- Attending FCM lectures and public events as needed.
The Communications & Development Manager/Director must be committed to FCM’s mission. All candidates should have proven written and verbal communication skills. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include:
- A bachelor’s degree in an appropriate curriculum and/or equivalent experience.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- A demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with donors, partners & officials, and the general public.
- Ability to set and meet professional goals.
- A sharp eye for details; organized.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office platform and a demonstrated ability to learn new online platforms and databases.
- Knowledge of best practices in social media including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Ability to work positively and efficiently with a team in a hard-working environment.
- Flexibility in working both independently when needed and collaboratively at other times.
- Strong skillset in Wordpress platform, Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
- Grant writing experience a plus
- 1-3 years in communications
$35,000- $45,000 depending on experience. Job Title (manager vs director) is also DOE.
Position may be located in Bluff, UT or any regional city centers (e.g. Salt Lake City, Durango, Flagstaff, Moab, or Grand Junction). Applicants should indicate their willingness to relocate to Bluff if that is possible.
How to Apply
Please send resume and a cover letter to email@example.com. Position open until filled. We will conduct a first review of applications starting February 15, 2018 with a targeted start date in mid-March.