Founded by Nobel Peace Prize Recipient Muhammad Yunus, Grameen America is a 501 (c) (3) national nonprofit microfinance institution dedicated to helping women who live in poverty build small businesses to create better lives for themselves, their families and communities. The fastest growing nonprofit microfinance organization in the United States, we provide small loans, training and support to low-income women to help them build businesses, achieve higher family incomes and revitalize their communities. Since launching our first branch in Queens, New York in 2008, we have expanded to 21 branches in 14 cities, serving over 110,000 low-income women with more than $1 Billion in microloans. For more information, please visit grameenamerica.org.
In 2018, Grameen America marked its 10-year anniversary. We celebrated several extraordinary milestones, including investing over $1 Billion in more than 110,000 low-income women entrepreneurs across the country. Looking toward the next decade, Grameen America will launch a new $100M campaign to support our plans to double our footprint across the U.S. Grameen America is seeking a dynamic and resourceful individual to support our marketing and communication efforts for this national expansion.
The Communications Associate will join the Marketing and Communications department to maintain and grow the organizations channels and support and strategize the promotion of major funders and partners. Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the primary role of this position is to manage internal and external communications to our growing audiences. This position requires exceptional communications and writing skills, project management experience, high attention to detail, ability to learn quickly on the job, and a passion for the work of the organization. The candidate should possess excellent writing and communications skills, have the ability to manage multiple priorities and projects independently, and be able to take initiative as well as work as part of team.
Director of Marketing and Communications
Under the guidance of the Director, Marketing and Communications:
- Create and maintain content for donor-facing marketing materials and reports, website, social media, blog, Google Adwords, and other online outlets.
- Develop communications plan to build awareness about Grameen America. This includes managing content, schedules, media opportunities, media contacts, and coordinating pitching to expand organizations exposure to key audiences.
- Support major funders and partners on cause marketing projects and partnership promotion. Draft press releases and member stories for organization and major partners as needed.
- Keep staff informed of relevant industry news and developments through regular updates
- Research, develop, and write content for internal audiences including HQ staff, branch staff and members
- Support Fundraising, Programs, Operations, and Technology departments in communicating new developments to external audiences
- Support CEO & other senior leaders with speaking engagements, media opportunities and other events as needed
- Support and conduct research and analysis related to relevant fields, including literature reviews, talking points and speeches, as well as internal briefings
SKILLS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism or related fields
- Minimum 1-3 years’ experience in communications and marketing, preferably in a nonprofit setting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required. Experience writing press releases and blogs highly preferred.
- Command of various social media outlets and Microsoft Office Suite required. Experience with Mailchimp, Google Analytics, Google Adwords preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to handle and prioritize multiple projects with competing deadlines
- Entrepreneurial spirit who is passionate about trying new digital tools and determining best practices for the organization
- Spanish language skills are a plus
- Energetic, positive and enthusiastic team player with a commitment to the values of the organization
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, writing sample, and a cover letter that outlines your qualifications for the role and your salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org, including the subject line "Associate, Communications.”
Grameen America is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). All candidates for employment will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state or local law.