NAL is the leading national organization fighting for fair and representative democracy by recruiting, training, and inspiring leaders that reflect America’s diverse population. NAL began with the vision to prepare first and second generation Americans to run for office so policy could work better for everyday people. Today, we run a national program with roots in five core states providing year- round support and education for emerging community leaders. Our work also supports New American elected officials to build political power for their communities and govern as movement leaders from the inside. Given the surge in voting and civic engagement in the last two years, as well as the success of non-traditional candidates across the country, NAL is well positioned to leverage our track record and expertise to shift the narrative on immigrants and democracy.
NAL is seeking a proactive, strategic individual who believes our country needs a new kind of leadership and wants to contribute to this pivotal moment in American democracy. The organization has expanded significantly the last two years, and this new position will have a prominent role with fundraising opportunities for impact and growth. The ideal Development Manager will enjoy a challenge and contribute new ideas to help NAL capitalize on its fundraising assets, including a strong reputation, respected leadership, a stellar national team, and an extensive alumni network.
Vice President, Development
Individual Donors and Major Gifts (30%)
- Envision and implement creative methods to engage, thank, and retain donors of all levels.
- Identify strategies to empower alumni as fundraisers, especially through digital fundraising.
- Research donor prospects and work with VP to develop pathways to engaging their support.
- Assist with the annual appeal and partner with communications team to develop other development campaigns during the year.
- Generate acknowledgment letters and reports.
Institutional Support (30%)
- Write grant proposals, reports, and assist with other funder requests.
- Ensure team members know who their program funders are, and what outcomes they are responsible for.
- Maintain current grants calendar and coordinate staff contributions for upcoming reports
- Research new institutional prospects and help develop strategies to secure funding.
Special Events (20%)
- Act as main liaison to external event planner for annual awards reception.
- Reassess ways to enhance sponsorship benefits to engage potential corporate supporters.
- Track revenue and manage logistics for sponsors, honorees, and VIPs.
- Implement smaller gatherings, such as a donor breakfast or house party.
Planning, Culture, and Administration (20%)
- Work with President and Vice President in developing annual fundraising plan and goals.
- Collaborate with program team for stories and data that speak to NAL’s impact.
- Support Board of Directors with their fundraising efforts as needed.
- Maintain donor information on database.
- Ensure development files are well organized and updated.
Promote a culture of philanthropy by empowering staff and board to act as fundraisers and
- Passion for serving immigrant communities, fighting for social justice, and building inclusive democracy.
- Minimum 3-5 years experience in nonprofit development.
- Capacity to be bold, persistent, and thorough in finding new opportunities for NAL.
- Talent for creating clear and persuasive verbal/written communications for a range of donor audiences. Use of Oxford comma is negotiable.
- Agility while managing multiple projects and collaborating with a remote team in a growth environment. A love for learning and tackling new challenges is non-negotiable!
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail that will blow us away.
- Experience with DonorSearch and EveryAction is a plus
Salary range is $55,000-70,000 (commensurate with experience) with a comprehensive benefits package, 20 days of vacation plus winter holiday week, professional development opportunities, and the option to work one day from home. NAL is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, persons with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQ community.
How to Apply
Submit résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development Manager” in the subject line. Include a cover letter describing how you would convince people to invest in NAL to build an inclusive democracy.