Position: Every year Catholic Charities helps 400,000 New Yorkers providing $790 Million of services touching almost every human need. Embarking on its first ever five-year $100 Million Centennial Campaign, Catholic Charities is building and growing. At present, development is accountable for about $14 million annually. In this high visibility role as the Major Gifts Officer, you will work across the leadership team (Development Director, Senior and Program Staff) as you develop strategies that will grow fundraising initiatives, solicit new donations, and cultivate existing relationships.
About Catholic Charities: The Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of New York provides a range of programs and services to assist the poor and vulnerable, non-Catholics and Catholics alike in New York City and communities in the Hudson Valley in numerous ways:
- Protecting & Nurturing Children & Youth
- Feeding the Hungry and Sheltering the Homeless
- Strengthening Families and Resolving Crises
- Supporting the Physically and Emotionally Challenged
- Welcoming & Integrating Immigrants & Refugees
Working with Director of Development, the primary focus of the Major Gifts Officer is the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of donors in support of programs of Catholic Charities. The Major Gift Officer donors capable of making gifts in the $5,000 - $25,000 range. Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills are required including written, verbal, and personal contact with donors and their advisors. The Major Gifts Officer will grow the donor database by identifying and developing major new donors.
Director of Development
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage a portfolio of 120-150 donors, drawn from a mix of, long-time donors and new prospects
- Engage in the face-to-face solicitation of major gifts, and partner with senior and program staff and others on donor engagement opportunities.
- Create individual goals for each person in the portfolio based on the donor’s history of giving and knowledge of that donor’s potential.
- Create a plan for each donor/prospect in the portfolio and execute that plan so that individual donors are retained and upgraded.
- Provide support to senior staff in preparation for solicitations, including developing appropriate briefing materials in advance of meetings.
- Develop and execute cultivation and stewardship opportunities for donors and prospects in the portfolio, and participate in donor-focused events.
- Track portfolio activity and progress in the donor database. Create reports as required by management that accurately reflect portfolio activity and performance.
- Provide stewardship for gifts from all donors within your portfolio.
- Additional responsibilities on an ad hoc or ongoing basis as assigned by the Department Director in support of other ongoing fundraising activities
Education and experience required:
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 3 years of fundraising experience including proven success in developing major new donors
- Established track record of identifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing, and maintaining major gifts from individuals
- Able to build strong professional relationships with donors and their advisors
- Proven ability to create a climate of confidence and trust on the part of donors
- Ability to track the progress of each donor using Raisers Edge and other database programs
- Proven ability to work well with teams in complex situations and to manage multiple priorities simultaneously
Skills, Licenses, and competencies required:
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Working knowledge of Raiser’s Edge a plus
- Superior communication skills
- Well-honed interpersonal skills; ability to interact comfortably with individuals at all levels
- High energy, enthusiasm, and a strong work ethic
- A team-oriented, collaborative style
- Excellent organizational, time-management, and follow-up skills
- Able to participate in agency/community events, as necessary
- A genuine interest in the Catholic Charities mission
Commensurate with experience.
How to Apply
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com