Action Against Hunger-USA is part of the Action Against Hunger International network, which provides humanitarian relief in over 40 countries worldwide in the sectors of nutrition, health, water/sanitation, and food security. Action Against Hunger-USA, an independent NGO, currently manages operations in 10 countries: Pakistan, Kenya, South Sudan, Somalia, Nigeria, Cambodia, Tanzania, Uganda and Haiti. Action Against Hunger-USA has over $60 million in programs, and approximately 1,500 permanent staff based in New York City, Washington D.C, Nairobi, and country offices. Additional growth is anticipated.
YOU'LL CONTRIBUTE TO ENDING WORLD HUNGER BY ...
assisting the Technical Team to turn data into information, information into insight, and insight into tangible actions that improve our technical approach at field-level. This position will apply cutting-edge empirical methods to Action Against Hunger’s data in order to inform programmatic and policy-related work. This is a new position within the organization and an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic Research Unit that values creativity and innovative thinking.
KEY ACTIVITIES IN YOUR ROLE WILL INCLUDE
- Conducting a review of existing primary and secondary databases of relevance;
- Identifying and acquire data from primary (HQ, field, network, etc.) and secondary data sources;
- Developing and maintaining database of Action Against Hunger USA research-related data;
- Ensuring quality of existing data practices and relevance of data structuration;
- Leading the analysis of quantitative data using advanced statistical techniques;
- Identifying and defining new opportunities for more responsible data policies and practices within Action Against Hunger.
Associate Director of Research
Provides expert data analysis in support of select Research Unit initiatives, improving the ways in which we deploy our data to advance an evidence-based approach at field-level.
Works with colleagues from across the organization (country offices, HQ and network) to compile and manage Action Against Hunger data in select areas of technical priority. Analyzes data in collaboration with the Research Unit and Technical team, and reports findings for a wide variety of internal audiences – both technical and non-technical.
Delivers rigorous and responsible data analysis for select research priorities, with results carefully articulated and translated for incorporation at project/programme level.
- Post-Graduate degree (Master’s Degree or higher) in Social Science, Public Health, Political Science, Economics, International Development, or related field, ideally with relevant coursework in applied statistics, quantitative methods, etc.
- Minimum of 2 years of previous work with an international humanitarian organization or 5 years of similar work in an unrelated field.
You are a professional:
- With strong analytical skills, ability to collect, organize and analyze significant amounts of information, as well as a keen attention to detail, with regard for data quality and accuracy of information in analysis.
- Passionate about the collection and maintenance of usable data for decision-making.
- Fluent in a wide range of social science empirical methods, with demonstrated expertise using statistical software packages (e.g. R, SPSS, SAS, etc.) and experience cleaning, coding, merging and analyzing quantitative and/or qualitative data.
You want to be an integral part of a highly collaborative team, and you have:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral for efficient translation of data into a descriptive analysis.
- Ability to multi-task, working on several projects at once, and with a distributed team across countries and time zones.
- Maturity and confidence to work autonomously and as a member of a multidisciplinary team.
Commensurate with experience
How to Apply
Please visit our Careers page: https://careers.actionagainsthunger.org/ to apply.