Lantern Community Services' (Lantern) mission is to champion the independence and well-being of New Yorkers who are impacted by or threatened with homelessness. Lantern provides innovative services to help New Yorkers who are homeless, formerly homeless or have recently aged out of foster care recreate their lives. Our programs with proven results in health, employment, education, and life skills are delivered inside our residences and tailored to each person's needs. We provide our clients - many of whom live with mental illness, addiction, disability, HIV or other chronic illnesses - with the tools they need to integrate successfully into the greater community with dignity and independence.
We are seeking Case Managers at Lantern's first men's mental health shelter. Case Managers will be part of a dynamic, interdisciplinary team aimed at stabilizing shelter clients, improving independent living skills, and assisting clients in moving towards rapid re-housing goals. Case Managers are responsible for the implementation of best practices to meet the physical, emotional and social needs of shelter residents to ensure the ability to attain and maintain housing stability. Case Managers will meet regularly with new clients as well as with an assigned caseload. Case Managers are responsible for assessing client needs, linking the client to services, planning a course of action towards stabilization and re-housing, monitoring progress, and documenting client contacts. Successful candidates will have prior experience working in the field of homelessness and/or mental health with proven ability in engaging hard to serve populations.
Classification: Non -exempt
Reports to: Director of Social Services or Shelter Team Leader
Location: Ozone Park, Queens
This is a full-time position with some evening and weekend hours. The exact schedule will be determined by the needs of the shelter. Lantern staff may be asked to alter their work schedule depending on the operational needs of the site.
- Conduct Intake and Needs Assessment of incoming clients.
- Complete Psychosocial Assessments and develop Individual Service Plans within funder's mandated time frame.
- Collaborate with shelter clients to develop Independent Living Plans and other required documentation as per DHS and OTDA standards.
- Meet with clients on assigned caseload weekly, or more frequently as needed, to review progress and identify obstacles.
- Link clients to outside services and assist clients in areas of concern such as housing, medical and psychiatric care, substance abuse, entitlements etc.
- Develop and implement permanent re-housing plans with clients.
- Provide information to clients related to rental assistance benefits and requirements.
- Complete housing applications with clients reflective of their individual needs and functioning.
- Coordinate services with Housing Team, other shelter staff, and external partners.
- Provide advocacy for clients around entitlements and services.
- Provide crisis intervention using Safe Crisis Management techniques.
- Document case management activities in accordance with agency and funder's guidelines.
- Lead or co-facilitate client meetings and skill building, psychoeducational and support groups.
- Support clients in the attainment of employment goals.
- Escort clients to appointments as applicable.
- Maintain client confidentiality.
- Attend staff meetings and training to enhance skills related to job function.
- Perform other related duties.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor Degree in Social Work or related field.
- Experience working with the homeless, mentally ill, substance abuse and/or low-income populations.
- Strong relationship building skills required.
- Strong Computer skills required including Word and Excel.
- Ability to work Evenings and/or Weekends on a rotating schedule.
- Knowledge of HIV/AIDS, mental health, substance use or chronically homeless.
- Experience working in a homeless shelter preferred.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
This job operates in a homeless shelter and works with a population who may experience mental illness, substance use, disability, HIV/AIDS, and other chronic illnesses.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, stoop, climb stairs and/ or kneel. They must also use hands to type, handle, or feel. The employee is frequently required to talk or hear and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Lantern Community Services provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment.
Lantern Community Services (Lantern) values the diversity of all our clients, staff, Board of Directors, and partners. By bringing diverse individuals and viewpoints together, we create more vibrant, healthy and just communities. Lantern welcomes individuals of all backgrounds and experiences regardless of race, ethnicity, national origin, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, political belief, pregnancy, religion, immigration status, veteran status, class, creed, mental or physical disability, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, and local law.
How to Apply
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.