ABOUT MASA ISRAEL JOURNEY:
Masa Israel Journey is an international organization and the leader in immersive international experiences in Israel for young adults (ages 18 to 30) from across the globe. Their mission is to connect young Jewish adults to Israel and their Jewish identity. Masa Israel Journey offers a diverse portfolio of 2- to 12-month programs focused on career development and leadership development opportunities. This includes internship, academic, volunteer, gap year and Jewish studies programs. Since its founding in 2004 by the Prime Minister's Office of the Government of Israel, together with The Jewish Agency for Israel, over 140,000 young people from more than 60 countries have participated in Masa Israel programs.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The Managing Director will be the strategic leader and key architect of Masa Journey Israel in North America, developing and driving an entrepreneurial vision that will position Masa Israel as the premier engagement experience for North American Jewish young adults.
The key priorities of this position in the first 18 months will be to:
- set a strategic and innovative vision after assessing the current Masa Israel landscape;
- grow and diversify sources of funding and partnerships;
- increase participant recruitment growth for Masa Israel by 10% annually;
- identify and build a strong and committed Board of Directors; and
- ensure a positive, motivated organizational culture in the North American office.
The Managing Director, North America will report to the CEO of Masa Israel Journey, Liran Avisar Ben-Horin, located at the Israeli office in Jerusalem.
The Managing Director oversees a New York-based staff of 15 as well as 50 campus-based staff. He/she also participates on the senior management team of Masa Israel Journey, based in Israel.
Overall Responsibilities Include:
Leadership and Executive Management
- Provide visionary leadership to the board and staff; shape and drive a strategic and organizational plan in accordance to Masa leadership in Israel;
- Collaborate with Masa leadership in Israel and future Board members to identify, design and build a strong, committed and productive Board of Directors in North America;
- Recruit, supervise, and mentor a high-performing professional team in North America, providing leadership, inspiration, accountability, and opportunities for professional growth;
- Provide fiscally sound management and fiduciary oversight of the organization in partnership with finance and administration staff.
Business Development and Partnerships Management
- Develop a far-reaching recruitment strategy to grow North American participation and engagement by ensuring Masa Israel meets the current needs of the young, Jewish community;
- Identify and achieve new partnerships to grow North America brand recognition, market awareness, fundraising streams, and program and participant opportunities;
- Develop, manage, and steward key relationships including partner agencies, foundations, Jewish Federations and university administrations.
Marketing and Media
- Extend, deepen and enhance the current Masa Israel brand to reach new and larger markets of Jewish young adults in North America;
- Devise and execute on a dynamic and creative marketing, digital, and PR strategy that leverages the unique brand of Masa Israel as a vital engagement experience; and
- Cultivate and engage with the North American Masa alumni by creating different valuable network and communal opportunities as well as using the alum as a marketing resource.
CORE VALUES & COMPETENCIES:
Masa Israel is on a mission to transform the lives of young Jews from around the world, providing personal growth as well as professional networks. They are looking for someone who is:
A strategic leader
You have the strategic prowess and social intelligence required to assess a market, devise inspired and actionable plans, and execute against a goal. You’re a decisive and inclusive decision maker with the ability to manage small details while focusing on the big, strategic picture.
Entrepreneurial and an innovator
Masa Israel Journey is seeking break-through ways of engaging and reaching North American young people. You thrive with innovation, leading in fluid environments, taking risks, and experimenting.
Uniquely partnership oriented
You continually cultivate productive relationships and flourish with developing and managing these relationships with intelligence, diplomacy, and professionalism. You are flexible, open, and interested in the nuances of North American and Israeli partnerships.
Committed to Israel
You are passionate about Israel and energized by Masa Israel’s mission. You have an understanding of and a dedication to the engagement of young adults in Jewish life and connecting a new generation to Israel. You are excited about the prospect of visiting Israel.
The successful candidate will be passionately committed to Masa Israel’s mission. The Managing Director will be a dynamic, inspiring, and highly accomplished leader from the for-profit or non-profit industry with business-savvy, creativity, and a drive for excellence, growth, and results.
Key Experiences Include:
- Strong leader and manager with demonstrated experience managing and growing an organization or initiative in the non-profit or for-profit sectors;
- Excellent interpersonal, political, and diplomatic skills, along with the ability to build a board, lead staff, and partner externally with integrity and inspiration;
- Experience in and motivated by partnership identification, development, and maintenance;
- Highly driven self-starter, comfortable in a results-oriented and data driven environment;
- An understanding of current marketing, digital, and PR strategies with an interest in storytelling and serving as the spokesperson in North America;
- Creative and innovative with an entrepreneurial drive and ability to think big picture; and
- Familiarity with the Jewish community and Jewish philanthropy; significant experience with Israel, working with Israeli and Hebrew language proficiency is preferred.
- Able to manage a budget of $2.5M with strong fiscal management acumen;
- Very energetic, ambitious, and driven, with the ability to take strategic direction as well as develop strategic direction and implement independently;
- A team builder and organized manager, capable of both creating a positive internal culture and collaborating with a diverse audience across the globe;
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree required.
TRAVEL: Domestic and international travel approximately 40% including occasional trips to Israel.
Salary and benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
Masa Israel Journey is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
How to Apply
Does this sound like you? If so, please tell us more and email your interest (letter and resume) in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org