Working Films (www.workingfilms.org) was one of the first organizations using documentary film to raise public consciousness, catalyze action, and create real and measurable impact. Since our founding in 1999 in Wilmington, NC, we have honed an approach that engages communities nationwide in advancing social justice and environmental protection.
Working Films builds partnerships between documentary makers and advocates to tackle the biggest issues of our time. We train and work with change leaders using film to enhance their programs, extend their reach, and move their missions forward. We identify partners’ needs, work with them to select great media, and put it to work through screening tours, trainings, policy briefings, and in other strategic settings. Our approach prioritizes leadership in directly impacted communities and respects the interests of the people most affected by the issues at hand.
Working Films is conducting a national search for a full-time Development Manager to lead the organization’s fundraising.
Development Manager will report to the co-directors and work closely with them and the finance committee of Working Films’ board to create and implement an annual fundraising plan.
Primary duties include:
- Develop and implement an annual fundraising plan that supports the innovative programming work of the organization.
- Lead and coordinate the timely preparation, writing, and submission of all elements of grant proposals, letters of inquiry, and of narrative and financial grant reports.
- Prepare and send acknowledgements to all of Working Films institutional supporters and individual donors.
- Manage foundation relations, including retaining current foundation supporters and increasing grants from current funders.
- Prospect and secure new sources of foundation support and new major individual donors.
- Create and maintain an accurate and complete grants calendar and fundraising schedule that notes all proposal deadlines and dates that grant reports are due.
- Design, manage, track, and implement 3+ individual donor solicitation campaigns via social media, email and direct mail per year.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of Working Films activities in order to prepare successful fundraising approaches to grow the organization’s programs.
- Track all fundraising activities, gifts, and interactions in SalesForce and prepare monthly development reports for the WF co-directors and Board Finance Committee.
- Support the co-directors as they lead External Fundraising activities. The Development Manager will support the co-directors as they engage in external donor relations and presentations.
The development manager must have:
- 3-5 years experience in developing and implementing successful fundraising plans for organizations with budgets of $1 million and higher.
- Experience and success grant-writing and securing institutional support.
- Deep experience and knowledge of trends in foundations, philanthropy, individual giving, and crowdfunding.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience in SalesForce and/or similar fundraising databases and search engine systems, or a demonstrated ability to learn it quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively and harmoniously with a dynamic and diverse team.
- Enthusiasm for Working Films’ mission and about being part of the organization.
- The ability to make successful public presentations about our work.
- Experience fundraising in the sectors of film and/or social justice is highly preferred.
Salary: We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, a generous benefits package, and a pleasant work environment.
Working Films is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
Candidates of color are particularly encouraged to apply. Working Films encourages applications from veteran fundraisers seeking (or interested) in coming out of retirement to support social justice organizing in the documentary film world.
How to Apply
To Apply: Interested candidates should email a cover letter, resume and at least two successful proposal or LOI writing samples to: email@example.com