More about J Street
J Street is the political home for pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans working for the future of Israel as the democratic homeland of the Jewish people. The organization believes that preserving Israel’s Jewish and democratic character depends on achieving a two-state solution, resulting in a Palestinian state living alongside Israel in peace and security.
Launched in 2008 with four staff and a limited budget, J Street is now a $10 million organization with a national staff of more than 60. The organization is headquartered in Washington, DC, employing staff in 8 cities including Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Denver and Tel Aviv. The New York office is the largest regional office (outside of DC), housing both regional and national staff.
J Street focuses its work in three main areas: (1) Advocating and demonstrating support for pro-Israel, pro-peace policies in Congress, the media and the Jewish community; (2) Endorsing and raising money for federal candidates who share J Street’s agenda; and (3) Educating the public and raising awareness of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the two-state solution.
Do you want to work at the intersection of politics, Middle East policy, the Jewish community and fundraising? Are you interested in joining a rapidly expanding organization that is changing the way people think and talk about Israel and U.S. Middle East policy?
J Street seeks an experienced professional to help J Street expand its political and communal footprint in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The ideal candidate will have a background in fundraising as well as politics and/or the Jewish community. S/He will be responsible for creating and executing a plan that grows the organization’s leadership ranks, raises operating and political funds and advances the pro-Israel, pro-peace agenda in the American policy and Jewish communal arenas. This position is an outstanding opportunity for a talented, motivated individual to lead regional advocacy efforts for an organization whose influence and reach are growing enormously year to year.
The ARD should be an effective political organizer, experienced fundraiser, skilled communicator, and highly organized self-starter who thrives on hitting ambitious goals and is excited by the challenge of changing the dynamics that shape discussion of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict in Congress, American politics and the American Jewish community.
Regional Director, NY Region+ PA
The ARD is part of a dynamic team reshaping the political landscape in the Tri-State+PA, responsible for J Street’s work in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. S/He will cultivate strong relationships with lay leaders, partnering with them to accomplish J Street’s goals. Specific responsibilities of this position include:
- Work with the Regional Director to create a development strategy with achievable objectives and plans to meet or exceed long-term fundraising goals;
- Cultivate and manage relationships with existing regional donors, with an eye on maintaining and increasing their financial support for J Street as well as Identify new sources of funding;
- Plan and implement high-impact donor and prospect events in the region that both raise new funds and expand J Street’s network of leaders.
- Engaging in the political sphere throughout the region, with a focus on key Senate and House races.
- Advise donors and leaders in the region on political giving strategy and connect donors to advocacy on one of the most politically charged issues in American politics;
- Manage relationships with campaigns of endorsed candidates to coordinate political fundraising;
- Create and support structures through leadership recruitment, training, and cultivation to effectively advocate at the grass-tops level on issues relating to Israel and the Middle East.
- Ensure that J Street and its leaders are engaging with the established leaders of the Jewish community locally, attempting both to enlist allies in advocacy for pro-Israel, pro-peace positions and to open up the dialogue in the Jewish community on Israel.
- Identify, develop and empower leaders in key cities in the region who will drive J Street’s mission. This includes building and facilitating relationships between J Street and key community contacts, including rabbis, communal and political influentials, donors and activists.
- Keep and maintain regional data so it is accurate and current
- Perform other duties in support of the Tri-State+PA region and national efforts as needed
Required and Desired Skills and Characteristics
Applicants should have a demonstrated track record in the following required skills:
- A strong commitment to J Street’s mission, including:
- Support for a secure, Jewish and democratic future for Israel, and
- Advocating an active U.S. leadership role to help achieve a two-state solution
- Personally engaging and eager to work with leaders and staff, able to build and cultivate relationships with a broad range of community contacts
- Highly organized, detail oriented, able to prioritize multiple tasks, meet deadlines and work independently as well as in a team
- A savvy approach to politics, including an understanding of how to generate influence with Members of Congress and candidates for federal office
- Experience in community or political organizing
- Ability to clearly communicate J Street’s positions and policies as well as superb communication skills at large – written and verbal
- An outgoing and positive attitude
- Comfort with technology and online communications
- Willingness to travel regionally and holding a valid driver’s license
Additional desired qualifications include:
- Background in fundraising and development work, making financial asks and organizing fundraising events
- Familiarity with New Jersey and/or Pennsylvania and their congressional delegations.
- Prior work in the Jewish community a plus but not required
- Event management experience
- Comfort with data management
- Background on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and understanding how the conflict plays out in American politics
Compensation and Hours
Salary for this full-time position will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Hours and duties may fluctuate based on J Street event and staff travel schedules. Benefits include paid vacation and sick leave, paid time off on federal and Jewish holidays, health and dental insurance, company paid life insurance, 401k and flexible spending account.
How to Apply
To Apply for the Position
Interested candidates should submit applications to https://workable.com/j/7C13943249.
Applications should include:
- Cover letter that explains why you are interested and qualified
- List of three references
- Where you learned about the position
J Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer.