The National Multiple Sclerosis Society is a national non-profit that exists because there are people with MS. Our vision is a world free of MS. Everything we do is focused so that people affected by MS can live their best lives as we stop MS in its tracks, restore what has been lost and end MS forever.
We are more than an organization. We are a movement. United in our collective power to do something about MS now and end this disease forever. At the National MS Society you have the opportunity to make a real difference in the lives of those living with MS and their families.
As a member of the Society team, you'll work in an environment that values collaboration, innovation, diverse perspectives, and most of all a relentless resolve so people with MS can live their best lives.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our national Development team as a Development Specialist, Bike MS.
The Development Specialist, Bike MS is responsible for the implementation and success of Bike MS events in the assigned market. This position is responsible for the recruitment, cultivation, and retention of participants, teams, and sponsors for Bike MS and will oversee a fundraising portfolio. This position will foster participant engagement, exceed participant and donor expectations with the Society and drive revenue and participation.
The Development Specialist acts as an ambassador for the National MS Society, always striving to engage participants and their donors with the mission by providing exceptional customer service. In addition, this position is part of a Bike MS team who implements the fundraising, recruitment and cultivation strategies for Bike MS and will work closely with the logistics team assigned to the territory.
Responsible for the retention, acquisition and cultivation of Top Fundraisers, teams and individual participants for assigned portfolio of events.
- Recruit, cultivate, and foster engagement of participants, team captains, sponsors, and top fundraisers
- Develop strong networks within the local community, cold call, and grow prospects for potential revenue streams and volunteer opportunities
- Increase Bike MS visibility and brand awareness in the market area
- Assist by providing leadership to volunteer committees to ensure that committee members are fully supported and accomplish tasks required for successful events.
- Maintain accurate records/ data to evaluate effectiveness and public awareness of events activities and results. Work alongside supervisor to remain under budget for even
- Develop and implement events to recognize, reward, and motivate successful volunteers and fundraisers to ensure ongoing commitment.
- Adhere to the approved budget for any and all purchase orders and check requests
- Assist in the assessment of prizes and t-shirts for walkers, team captains and other ancillary efforts
- Plan Awards / Recognition Dinner for participants, teams, sponsors and top fundraisers
- Other administrative duties may be assigned based on local staff structure and resources
- Increase the number of Society volunteers, recognizing and recruiting talent.
- Engage volunteers, effectively communicating and facilitating meaningful opportunities across all functions.
- Partner with volunteers to accomplish work.
- Cultivate volunteers, seeking and providing feedback and sharing opportunities for reciprocal growth and learning.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science preferably in Business Development, Marketing, or Non-Profit
- Four years of directly related experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- Two years of related work experience in event planning/management or fundraising is required.
- Knowledge of industry standards, current trends and best practices.
- Enthusiastic team player motivated to exceed goals
- Ability to communicate effectively and build lasting relationships both internally and externally
- Desire to learn and take on new challenges
- Commitment to the mission, vision, cultural values, and expectations of the National MS Society
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite; proficient in Excel
- Project management experience strongly preferred
- This position will be required to drive/travel on Society business. Candidate must possess a valid driver's license, proof of insurance, and reliable transportation. The Society does run motor vehicle checks for all positions which require driving and the applicant must meet the Society guidelines.
- Ability to work nights and weekends as required to support events
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society provides a highly competitive, comprehensive benefit package to employees. These benefits include a considerable Paid Time Off Plan; Paid Holidays; 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Society match; Educational Reimbursement Plan; Professional Development Assistance; Commuter Benefit Plan; Comprehensive Health & Welfare benefits including Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending Accounts, Life Insurance, Disability Coverage, Life Assistance Plan as well as additional voluntary benefit offerings.
How to Apply
Please submit your resume and cover letter by applying directly to the job posting located on our company website: