Don’t be bored at work. Come to Community HousingWorks and instead lead teams united by a passion for our mission and by a dash of fun. You’ll go home every night, satisfied that your work helped over 3,300 low income families and seniors statewide go to sleep in an affordable apartment that helps them forge stronger futures.
Community HousingWorks, a growing nonprofit apartment developer, owner and resident services provider, is seeking an Asset Manager, in San Diego.
We need someone who wants to increase our portfolio strength and property management proficiency. The right person for the job will find new energy and satisfaction as a competitively compensated Asset Manager, managing a portfolio of affordable multifamily apartment complexes in a high-performance non-profit. This position requires the ability to provide high level project management, administrative services, supervision, and independent management of varied duties. As a leader, you have both a servant-leader approach and an urgency for excellence. A workplace low on personal politics and hierarchy and high on integrity will appeal to the right person.
- Are a leader who has a proven track record of good oversight and supervisory experience
- Love the idea of managing your own portfolio and overseeing a third party Property Management Company
- Have 3+ years’ experience as an asset manager in multifamily real estate, preferably in affordable housing
…then you might be the person Community HousingWorks is looking for!
Director of Asset Management
- Oversee a portfolio of affordable rental properties. Responsible for management of cash flows, construction of budgets, long term planning and goals of the asset manager’s portfolio properties.
- Independently monitor the activities of property management firms responsible for the daily operations of the properties.
- Coordinate with Community HousingWorks staff on issues related to asset management, real estate development and community development. Provide appropriate feedback and reporting to the Vice President. Coordinate cross department issues, mutual projects and concerns with other department team members.
- Negotiate agreements or secure bids for the approval of the Vice President of Asset Management to approve or bring to the CEO for the benefit of the portfolio. Review bids presented by the property management companies and make recommendations for changes or approval.
- Represent our ownership concerns and coordinate with property managers, developers and other development team members to ensure that lease-up, marketing and outreach, and maintenance of waiting lists are handled in accordance with the management plan and all regulatory requirements, and that physical plans for construction are reviewed and approved by Asset Management.
- Perform site inspections. Identify, evaluate and recommend capital improvement and replacement projects in the asset manager’s portfolio, including potential energy efficiency retrofits.
- Coordinate with property management to update management and marketing plans. Oversee and assist with obtaining lender and partner approvals.
- Responsible for the timely coordination, review and monitoring of reports prepared by property management to ensure conformance to operating budgets, management plans and regulations.
- Review and analyze monthly property financial statements for reporting to the Vice President of Real Estate Assets. Prepares and presents progress reports to the Vice President, President, CFO, Board of Directors and Board Committees, as requested.
- Provide support to resident boards.
- Work with any committees including the Asset Management Committee, on strategic financial and management issues.
- Represent the organization to stakeholders, property managers, vendors and residents.
- Create and manage detailed project budgets and completes projects on time and on budget. Monitors project expenses, reconciles to financial reports and coordinates all contract payments, lender and funder reporting requirements in a timely manner.
- Manages and coordinates work of project team including architects, contractors, engineers and other consultants, with property managers to ensure adherence to project budget and schedule, cost containment, regulatory compliance and quality control.
- Oversee the marketing and leasing programs for new properties and projects in support of the real estate development plans. Coordinate with internal departments and Vice President of Asset Management.
- Monitor project activities regarding quality and cost control issues. Arranges and conducts regular site inspections and meetings. Resolves related problems and concerns. Sees projects through to completion. Reports on activities to Vice President of Asset Management.
- Field resident concerns. Works with property management, and VP of Asset Management when necessary, to resolve issues in the best interest of Community HousingWorks, the property and the resident.
- Bachelor's degree in Business or related field from four-year college or university; and three to five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong computer literacy in word processing, database and spreadsheet applications.
- Demonstrated capacity to read, analyze and understand complex loan, regulatory and legal documents.
- Proven skills in managing rehab and construction projects ranging from $5000 to $500,000.
- Proven ability to create and manage project budgets and expenses.
- Proven success at leading teams to achieve defined results.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to provide attention to detail, follow-up and excellent organizational skills.
- Valid CA driver’s license and regular availability of an insured vehicle for travel and the ability to travel for overnight if needed / required due to property location.
- Bilingual English-Spanish a plus.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should apply using this link: