Founded in 1970, Poets & Writers will celebrate its 50th Anniversary in 2020. It is respected and trusted as the primary source of information, support, and guidance for poets, fiction writers, and creative nonfiction writers. Our work is rooted in the belief that literature is vital to sustaining a vibrant culture. We focus on nurturing literature’s source: creative writers.
Our mission is to foster the professional development of poets and writers, to promote communication throughout the literary community, and to help create an environment in which literature can be appreciated by the widest possible public.
As we move into our 50th Anniversary year, our vision is that Poets & Writers will empower writers and strengthen literary communities in every corner of the United States.
We advance our mission through our flagship publication, Poets & Writers Magazine; pw.org, a website that provides trustworthy advice, information, and a lively online community for writers; the Readings & Workshops Program, which pays writers fees for giving readings and leading workshops throughout New York and California, as well as in eight cities outside those states; Poets & Writers Live; and awards for writers including the Jackson Poetry Prize, the Maureen Egen Writers Exchange Award, and the Amy Award. Learn more at pw.org.
The development and marketing assistant will be an integral part of a small team of development and marketing professionals who work to promote Poets & Writers’ programs, advance its mission, and to raise contributed income. The assistant tracks and acknowledges all donations; coordinates all aspects of the Friends of Poets & Writers program (over 2,000 members); and provides administrative assistance for special events, including our annual gala. In 2019, Poets & Writers will launch a 50th Anniversary campaign, making this an especially exciting time to be a part of our development team.
The position requires great attention to detail and outstanding organizational ability. Database management is a key part of the job, so a commitment to maintaining clear and accurate information is essential. This is a great opportunity for an aspiring development professional to be a part of a highly-productive, fast-moving team and to gain exposure to many aspects of development work, especially membership and special events.
Gift processing and donor acknowledgement
- Record all gifts and pledges in donor database (Donor Perfect)
- Make weekly bank deposit
- Generate timely, accurate donor acknowledgement letters
- Provide timely, accurate internal reports, including the weekly deposit and batch reports
Friends of Poets & Writers
- Produce timely, accurate monthly renewal mailings (both online and direct mail) for Friends of Poets & Writers to maintain our high rate of renewal
- Ensure timely fulfillment of Friends benefits
- Serve as the point person for outside vendors for fulfillment and to stock premiums
- Support end-of-year and other periodic campaigns, both online and direct mail, to acquire new Friends and reengage lapsed members
- Contribute ideas about how to appeal to and/or incentivize writers to become Friends
- Track the success of the Friends program and provide periodic reports as requested
- Provide assistance to every aspect of our annual dinner, including:
- Track solicitations, pledges, and contributions
- Provide accurate reports, including weekly sales reports
- Providing timely and accurate invoices and acknowledgment letters
- Track guest information (guests lists, preferences, etc.) to ensure a flawless event
- Maintain event data in donor database that is accurate and complete
- Similarly, assist with other special events, including Patrons Circle events, readings, awards presentations, and celebrations
- Attend and help to run all special events
Administrative and Other
- Maintain departmental records, including electronic and paper files
- Assist as needed with the preparation of proposals and reports to foundations and government funding agencies
- Assist in donor stewardship, communications, and recognition
- Proofread development and marketing materials
- As a member of a small, highly-productive team, become familiar with all department procedures so as to provide assistance and back-up to other team members as needed
- One to two years development or administrative experience, ideally in a nonprofit setting
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (especially Word and Excel)
- Experience with donor databases strongly preferred
- Familiarity with e-marketing tools also helpful
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Detail oriented, with outstanding organizational ability to take projects from assignment through completion
- Ability to provide exceptional service to Friends and other donors
- Discretion and dedication to safeguarding donor relationships
- Strong proofreading skills
- Interest in contemporary literature
up to $35,000; plus health, dental, vision, life insurance; 403(b); generous paid time off.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to Melissa Gradel at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Development and Marketing Assistant” in the subject line. Attachments should be .pdf or .doc files; other file types will not be opened. No calls, please.
Salary commensurate with experience; comprehensive benefits package includes fully paid medical, dental, vision and life insurance; 403(b) plan; and generous time off.
Poets & Writers is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity in its hiring.