New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s races, community events, instruction and training resources, and youth programs give hundreds of thousands of people each year the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top pro runners and committed amateurs alike while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for the City. But NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire more than 100,000 kids in underserved communities in New York City, all 50 states, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
About the Position
The Senior Manager of Youth Outreach performs a key role within the Youth and Community Services Department. NYRR’s goals for youth service are predicated on significantly increasing the number of “sites” (e.g. schools, community centers, youth groups) and youth that participate in Rising New York Road Runners annually. Working with the Director of Youth Outreach and colleagues both intra and inter-departmentally, the Senior Manager helps shape Outreach strategy and tactics and executes on the plans to NYRR’s standards of excellence.
Reporting to the Director of Youth Outreach, the Senior Manager’s primary function is to lead management and implementation of the annual Outreach business plan, thereby increasing the number of sites and youth who participate in NYRR’s flagship youth program, Rising New York Road Runners (RNYRR). Working in a highly collaborative inter-departmental environment, the Senior Manager blends the ongoing flow of outreach data with their experience in the field to help formulate and execute Outreach strategy and tactics. The role calls for insuring compliance with and revising as necessary Outreach’s standard operating procedures for achieving annual and long-term goals and executing those practices to achieve our goals.
RNYRR is entering a period of tremendous growth. The Senior Manager will collaborate with the marketing and program teams to achieve ambitious goals and to manage leads through the marketing/outreach funnel. The successful candidate will be highly involved in assessing data drawn to inform outreach planning, qualifying leads, and making the needed outreach and connections to impact growth. The Senior Manager is expected to engage with contacts at all levels of youth service, from education, non-profit and institutional executives, to teachers, faculty, parents, and virtually anyone who may be a decision-maker, decision-influencer or implementor of RNYRR. Outreach activities are not limited to, but may include presentations to educators and non-profit organizations, tabling and presenting at conferences, and lead management: identifying, prioritizing, following up and closing leads generated from multiple marketing initiatives. The Senior Manager works in close collaboration with both the program team for renewals and the marketing team, including feedback on the campaigns, tools, and digital and print collateral they create to stimulate awareness and leads.
- Working as part of a cross-departmental team, help develop and execute plans to increase the use of NYRR youth resources in alignment with aggressive annual growth goals.
- Initiate and develop constructive communications with outreach targets via a variety of channels, including in-person meetings, small and large group presentations, phone, email and other digital communications.
- Review and manage incoming Outreach data, and provide ongoing feedback on Outreach activities, including market reaction to our approaches and offerings, market trends, activities of other organizations working in this space, and other pertinent information.
- Travel regularly within NYC to conduct one-on-one and group meetings with executives and staff from schools, non-profits and related entities that can implement and/or advocate for our program.
- Travel out of the metro area (approximately 4–8 times annually) to table, present, and network with program decision makers, implementors and influencers at conferences and related events.
- Foster relationships which help identify and develop opportunities to increase NYRR resource utilization at target sites and regions, locally and nationally.
- Service contacts by responding promptly to requests and providing high quality customer service.
- Consistently represent NYRR at meetings, presentations and events as the world’s premier community running organization.
- Ensure compliance with standard operating procedures as formal guideline for all Outreach activities.
- Manage Salesforce CRM to ensure all required data is submitted, is current and documented and tracked for effective follow up.
- Perform lead management so all leads are appropriately documented, categorized and handled through resolution.
- Monitor and manage communications to ensure internal and external consistency and alignment.
- Maintain continuous communications with direct supervisor and other NYRR personnel as appropriate.
- Help develop annual Outreach budget and monitor operational expenses within your purview.
- Serve as liaison with IT department on all system requirements and refinements.
- In collaboration with Program team, develop relationships with “champion” Program Leads with the potential to serve as “ambassadors” who promote our program.
- 10 years' experience in a sales, outreach or marketing role with a for-profit or not-for-profit setting.
- 7+ years' proven experience working in social service and/or education.
- 7+ years' experience working with NYC communities, government, and human service organizations a plus.
- Proven drive to relentlessly promote beneficial youth programs at both institutional and individual levels. History of initiating new contacts and following up with new and established contacts enthusiastically.
- Proficiency using Salesforce, or capacity to attain proficiency in timely manner.
- Excellent communications skills in writing and speaking.
- Fluency in Spanish or other languages beyond English a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable professional experience directly related to this job.
- Master’s degree in marketing, public health, or related field a plus.
Skills and Attributes:
- High initiative and self-motivated.
- Ability to work independently, as well as part of a team.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal, and the ability to thrive in a self-starting environment.
- A knowledge of and/or strong interest to work in a youth services environment with emphasis on fitness.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Excel, Word, Powerpoint), and Salesforce CRM preferred.
- Ability to travel overnight (infrequent).
- Heart, humor and a strong appreciation for the value of running/physical fitness.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer