What We Do
The Vilcek Foundation raises awareness of immigrant contributions in America and fosters appreciation of the arts and sciences.
Who We Are
The foundation was established in 2000 by Jan and Marica Vilcek, immigrants from the former Czechoslovakia. Our mission was inspired by the couple's respective careers in biomedical science and art history, as well as their personal experiences and appreciation for the opportunities offered to them as newcomers to the United States.
The Communications Manager is responsible for providing general support to the President, CEO, and Secretary as needed. Help to create and maintain a favorable public image for the Foundation. Responsible for the Vilcek Foundation newsletter, providing support the Director of Digital, the Vilcek Foundation Facebook page, online communications, the Vilcek Prizes, exhibitions and events, and other initiatives.
The President of the Vilcek Foundation, Rick Kinsel
- Support the President in developing and executing the overall communications and the public relations strategy and plan.
- Implement and manage marketing initiatives on behalf of the Foundation.
- Study objectives, and needs of the Foundation, help develop communications and public relations strategies that will influence public opinion and promote the Foundation to our patronage, to the public, and to immigrant communities.
- Collaborate with staff to develop, select, edit and manage the release of publicity materials through different communications media.
- Communicate with graphic designers regarding images, style and content of publicity materials.
- Respond to requests for information on the Foundation’s mission, programs, grants, etc. from the press, the media and the public on the telephone or in writing.
- Initiate, plan, and execute targeted promotional initiatives, public appearances, lectures, contests, exhibits, etc., to gain a broader public exposure of the Foundation, promote goodwill in the community.
- Answer routine correspondence and e-mail inquiries seeking information on Foundation’s mission and programs.
- Support the Vilcek Foundation social media accounts, help to write creative weekly status updates in collaboration with the Foundation’s staff; identify, develop, propose and implement interesting Facebook event campaigns.
- Monitor and analyze press and media coverage, retain important press and media documentation in the Foundation Archives.
- Monitor and create content at Vilcek website regularly.
- Oversee independent contractors who create content for the foundation, including social media, press releases, newsletters, etc.
Grants and Communications Administration:
- Coordinate foundation grants and interact with grantees. Assist, and obtain materials and information for the preparation of writing grant renewal agreements, various proposals and reports and evaluations.
- Proofread and coordinate distribution of all materials including press releases, programs, flyers, and brochures.
- Maintain and update the Foundation’s calendar.
- Co-manage and enhance centralized database of Foundation’s contacts, build and maintain the press and the special guests mailing lists
- Maintain and check expense reports.
- Support all Foundation events.
- Check and manage information at Vilcek.org daily
Vilcek Foundation Newsletter (in conjunction with the Director of Digital):
- Oversee and manage the content, design, production and distribution of the Foundation’s HTML newsletter on a quarterly basis.
Social media (in conjunction with the Director of Digital, and other Vilcek staff):
- In collaboration with the Director of Digital, the Program Officer, and other Vilcek Foundation staff, write creative weekly status updates related to the Vilcek Foundation’s full spectrum of activities.
- Create interesting social media event campaigns as needed.
- Upload and maintain photo albums regularly.
- Create social media ad campaigns, monitor ad reports.
- Promote social media initiatives to expand Foundation’s fan base.
- Monitor and respond to fans’ comments, promote discussion forums.
Other General Requirements:
- All staff members are expected to help cover the reception desk and greet visitors as needed
- All staff members are expected to ensure that all mail sent from the Foundation is handled in a professional and accurate manner
- All staff members are expected to perform other duties as required
- Maintaining a convivial atmosphere and cooperative spirit at the workplace is highly desirable
Applicants must have a B.A. degree in Communications, Public Relations, Marketing, or a related field or equivalent, Master’s degree in a related field, preferred. The individual must be authorized to work in the United States. The ideal candidate should have prior administrative experience and excellent oral and written communication skills. Excellent organizational skills required. Work experience in communications and marketing is essential.
The position requires a person who is well organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated. Candidate must also have outstanding interpersonal skills, a professional, courteous manner, and be comfortable interacting with the public. Maturity, poise, initiative and flexibility to work as a team player, collaborative work style essential. Willingness to work beyond working hours for events, or otherwise required. Detailed knowledge of applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Google Suite, Mac OS, and calendar and database programs is essential.
The Vilcek Foundation reserves the right to change job descriptions. While this job description is intended to include essential duties, it is conceivable that job duties may change before the job description is officially revised.
Salary: $75,000.00 to $95,000.00 /year
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.