JustLeadershipUSA (JLUSA) launched in 2014 with the core mission to cut the US correctional population in half by 2030, reduce crime, and empower formerly incarcerated people to lead the way. JLUSA is guided by the principle that those closest to the problem are closest to the solution but furthest from the resources, power and decision-making. To achieve our bold mission, we have built a solid and well-tested theory of change on three pillars: Leadership, Advocacy, and Membership.
JustLeadershipUSA (JLUSA) seeks an exceptional development support professional to join the Development team. The Development Associate will provide general support for all Development functions, including individual and institutional giving, membership engagement, proposal and report writing, event planning and execution, and donor communications. The Development Associate will work closely with the development team, as well as program staff, to raise the funding necessary to maintain JLUSA’s core programs and invest in new programming. He/she must be able to create written materials that effectively communicate with JLUSA stakeholders—including donors, staff, members, supporters and community members—in order to promote our mission and work.
Support the Development Office’s comprehensive institutional and individual giving programs to raise funds for JustLeadershipUSA by:
- Providing administrative support (e.g. scheduling donor meetings, maintain calendar, prepare and coordinate materials, agendas for meetings, etc.)
- Composing and proofreading proposals, concept papers, program summaries, talking points, briefings, personalized donor acknowledgments as well as other correspondence as directed.
- Drafting correspondence and preparing/coordinating in-house or electronic mailings to donors.
- Coordinating with the Communications team to produce a variety of correspondence strategies, that will engage new donors and continue the retention of current donors
- Maintaining and analyzing data on all members to recruit, report, and analyze donor trends
- Working closely with Operations team to reconcile and process all incoming gifts, and maintain restricted funding schedule
- Fielding and respond to donor/funder phone and email inquiries relating to donation and fund related issues.
- Assisting with scheduling and coordinating logistics related to donor cultivation and stewardship events
- Managing vendors, freelancers, agencies, and other specialists. Oversee and manage purchase orders, invoices and other expenses as it relates to the development office.
- Fostering positive and professional working relationships with all staff
- Prospect/Portfolio Management: Update and maintain all moves management information related to managed portfolios as well as prospect base including entering contact reports, adding and updating proposals, entering future/anticipated actions, maintaining all data/coding related to the several reports most frequently used in tracking and measuring donor moves management.
- Assisting with special projects as assigned.
Required Qualities and Skills:
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Organized, meticulous, and flexible
- 3-5 years’ work experience, preferably working in an office setting, in development, public relations or marketing
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office and Google Suite environment
- Experience with donor databases, Salesforce experience preferred
- Undergraduate Degree required
JustLeadershipUSA seeks a candidate with the following qualities and skills:
- Experience utilizing payment processing services (e.g, IATS, Stripe, etc.) is a plus
- Experience with listservs is a plus
- A passion for, and working knowledge of, social justice and change;
- Demonstrated ability to set strategy, execute plans and meet deadlines;
- Ability to prioritize and to responsibly manage several projects at a time;
- Attention to detail
- A self-starter
- The ability to work within an environment that emphasizes teamwork as well as individual initiative
- Sensitivity, tact, and diplomacy
- The ability to honor confidentiality
- Strong interpersonal skills, collaborative instincts, sense of humor, and charm; and
- Comfort working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
How to Apply
We are accepting applications from candidates that live in New York City.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and development-related writing sample (e.g., proposal, letter of interest, report, etc.). Applications that do not contain these materials will not be considered.
Apply Online ONLY: https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=d84b4e41-e8ce-454d-aaa9-9015b9780d51&ccId=19000101_000001&type=MP&lang=en_US&selectedMenuKey=CareerCenter