Organization Vision: uAspire imagines a day when all young people have the opportunity to reach their full potential by graduating from college, regardless of their families’ financial resources or college experiences.
Organization Summary: uAspire is a national leader in providing college affordability services to young people, families, and college access and success practitioners. By 2022, uAspire’s strategic plan aims to impact the lives of 3,000,000 young people through:
- Student Advising: In person and over text, we support students one-on-one to maximize financial aid, minimize loan debt, and make informed financial decisions about the best post-secondary option for them.
- Training: Online and in-person we provide professional development for school counselors and college access providers, sharing our expertise so they can effectively support their students.
Policy & Systems Change: To level the playing field for young people from all economic backgrounds, we work to improve financial aid systems so everyone has a chance to graduate with a degree they can afford.
The challenges of college affordability have never been more pronounced, and uAspire’s expertise – built over 30+ years of practice – has never been more needed across communities nationwide. The Bay Area Director of Development will manage and enhance Bay Area fundraising efforts by developing strategy, while also executing the on the ground work needed to grow philanthropic support from individuals, corporations, and foundations.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Development Operations and Strategy, the Director of Development will inspire external stakeholders to engage with the organization’s work to ensure Bay Area revenue-generating goals are met. The successful applicant is a dynamic, collaborative leader that is passionate about building a sustainable, multi-year revenue plan. Working closely with the Chief Regional Officer, the Director of Development will bring deep experience in non-profit fundraising in the Bay Area and enjoys an entrepreneurial work environment.
Senior Director, Development Operations & Strategy
- In strong collaboration with the national external relations team, develop and implement strategies to ensure financial stability and growth of Bay Area revenue. Ensure that all major local funding programs and events are coordinated with national organization efforts. Implement and inform system-wide development strategies used by all uAspire sites and leverage the national resources available to support Bay Area revenue opportunities.
- Effectively manage and build a portfolio of high-priority prospects and donors. Participate as the on the ground relationship manager for Bay Area philanthropic partners including local and national individuals, corporations and foundations.
- Leverage internal and external constituents (including a regional board of advisors) to cultivate, solicit, close, and steward individual donors, with an emphasis on growing major donor support and building organizational champions.
- Effectively and authentically represent uAspire to its diverse constituents by learning from our programmatic stakeholders and tailoring messages and communications to various audiences.
- Diligently use donor relationship management tools, such as Salesforce to ensure data accuracy to inform solicitations and strategy.
Committed to Equity
- Continually able to hear, reflect, and act on feedback re: identity and equity with the aim to learn
- Deeply believes that racial equity and social justice are important and is driven to act on this belief
- Recognizes ways that race and other identities (historically and presently) intersect and play out in the work, especially for clients and community members
Proven track record of fundraising success
- Has demonstrated examples of successful fundraising efforts
- Ability to build and sustain donor and volunteer relationships
- Experience in soliciting individual gifts of $10,000+
- Experience using donor relationship management tools to inform solicitation and strategy
Self motivated to achieve goals
- Takes on challenges and opportunities without much prompting or concrete direction
- Ability to continually evaluate and readjust as necessary
- Ability to manage multiple needs and assignments in a fast-paced, sometimes ambiguous setting
Collaborative project management
- See the value and has the ability to collaborate among internal and external audiences to achieve goals
- Experience working across teams to ensure individual and department goals are met
- Ability to work within a team, but has the ability to take the lead as necessary
Strong communications skills
- Ability to clearly articulate the mission of uAspire to a variety of audiences
- Can use written and in-person persuasive communication to motivate internal and external constituents around desired goals and outcomes
- Use of data systems to ensure information is up to date for all teams to access
Salary commensurate with experience and education. All full-time employees receive a competitive benefits package.
Applications: Applicants should apply through uAspire’s website.
uAspire is an equal opportunity employer, fully committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workplace that embraces and encourages applicants of every background. The company’s policy regarding equal employment opportunity means that all decisions regarding recruitment, hiring, benefits, wage and salary administration, scheduling, disciplinary action and termination will be made without unlawful discrimination on the basis of sex, gender, race, color, age, national origin, religion, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship status, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable federal, state or local law.