Founded in 1971, NatureBridge provides environmental science programs for students in the world’s best classrooms—our national parks. Our mission is to connect young people to the science and wonder of the natural world, igniting self-discovery and inspiring stewardship of the planet. As the largest residential education partner of the National Park Service, NatureBridge serves more than 35,000 students and their teachers each year and offers programs in four national parks: Yosemite National Park, Golden Gate National Recreation Area, Olympic National Park, and Prince William Forest Park. In order to further our mission, NatureBridge is committed to supporting diversity, equity and inclusion and to promoting equal opportunity for students and staff in the field of environmental education. For more information, visit: naturebridge.org
As part of a 12-person Development and Communications Team, the Grants Officer will be responsible for sustaining, stewarding, and growing a strong base of institutional funders to support NatureBridge and our programs. The position will be based in the San Francisco office. The Grants Officer will be a part of the three-person Institutional Giving Team. This position reports to the Director of Institutional Giving, who works in the San Francisco office.
The Grants Officer will be expected to:
1. Grow NatureBridge’s funding base through strategic prospect identification, research, and cultivation. Funders include corporations, foundations, and government agencies.
2. Independently plan, write, and submit well-conceived, compelling letters of inquiry, grant proposals, and reports for high quality stewardship and relationship-building strategies.
3. Partner with NatureBridge staff to support the work of the Development Department.
This position reports to the Director of Institutional Giving, who works in the San Francisco office.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Research, identify, rank, and steward corporate, foundation, and government grant prospects.
- Compose concise analytical briefs and reports that synthesize prospecting and moves management activities effectively and present a well-reasoned plan of action.
Corporate, Foundation, and Government Relations
- Manage a portfolio of institutional prospects.
- Independently produce excellently written, compelling and research-based narratives, letters of inquiry, grant proposals, and reports.
- Produce materials to accompany institutional grants, including budgets, financial data, staff biographies, required forms, etc.
- Manage proposal packages via grant websites or submission protocols, monitor progress and outcomes, and sustain institutional funders through thoughtful, individualized stewardship strategies.
- Develop a strategy for meeting annual fundraising goals, and engaging new funders by working closely with the, regional directors, campus staff, national development staff, the Senior Leadership Team, and the regional and national Boards of Directors to support NatureBridge and to create a culture of philanthropy.
- Carefully track all activities and input information into NatureBridge’s donor database (Raiser’s Edge), update internal records (electronic and hard files), and prepare quarterly work plans and internal reports to assure progress toward funding goals.
- Collaborate with other Team members in editing and proofreading written materials; partner with development managers on solicitation strategies and donor logistics.
- Other duties as assigned.
- The Grants Officer will exercise independent discretion for more than 50% of their duties.
Experience, Competencies and Education
- Commitment to NatureBridge’s mission.
- At least five years of professional institutional fundraising experience.
- Effective and efficient data management, including all elements of proposal tracking, gift processing, and progress reporting.
- Prospect research.
- Collaboration with program staff and colleagues in different departments and/or regional offices in a fast-paced environment.
- Original and vivid writing that captures the unique relevance of our program in the education and environment sector.
- Ability to tell the life stories of all of our diverse students and the impact of the program on their education and personal growth.
- Ability to manage competing or shifting priorities.
- Proficiency with Google and Microsoft Office applications.
- Customer service orientation.
- Flexibility and the ability to problem-solve.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, sense of humor, and an entrepreneurial ‘can-do’ attitude.
- Availability for occasional travel to NatureBridge campuses/offices.
- Highly efficient and attentive to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to handle confidential information with sensitivity and integrity.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university.
Competitive salary, depending on experience. Excellent benefits package including medical insurance, retirement plan, plus generous vacation, holiday and sick leave plans.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand or sit, use hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls, reach with hands and arms; talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds.
How to Apply
NatureBridge is an equal opportunity employer. Recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce is a high priority. Interested individuals should submit a letter of interest and resume. To apply send a resume, cover letter and writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, faxes, or printed materials please. No agencies please. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Position is open until filled. Looking for immediate hire, contingent on successful background check and fingerprinting.