NETWORK is rooted in Catholic Social Justice and the lived experience of real people. We are open to all who share our passion.
Major Gifts Officer
Permanent, Full-Time, Based in D.C., Willing to Travel | $65,000, plus generous benefits
A national network of social justice advocates, and the organization behind Nuns on the Bus, NETWORK educates, organizes and lobbies for economic and social transformation. Founded in 1971 by Catholic sisters in the progressive spirit of Vatican II, NETWORK works to “Mend the Gaps” in income and wealth disparity and works to create a society and economy of inclusion.
We value women’s leadership, we appreciate people from religious and secular backgrounds, we affirm members of the LGBTQ+ community, and we engage in the ongoing work to become a multicultural anti-racist organization.
Why this position matters:
Major donors significantly multiply the impact of our mission. For the future success of our work, it is vitally important to develop and sustain strong relationships between NETWORK and our donors. That means listening, asking questions, communicating with our donors in the way they wish to be communicated with, and ethically inviting financial participation in our mission in a way that recognizes the joy and spirituality of giving to a mission that makes a difference in the world.
You could be our next Major Gifts Officer if you have:
- hands-on experience in face-to-face cultivation and solicitation of major donors and prospects;
- an established track record of soliciting gifts from a national pool;
- demonstrated success in helping organizations achieve or surpass their fundraising goals;
- strong listening, oral communication, and written communication skills;
- skills in major donor portfolio management;
- an understanding of wealth indicators and ability to translate such information into prospect ratings and gift estimates;
- experience in a detail-oriented position that required a very high level of organizational skills;
- the ability to work under pressure, work independently and on a team, meet deadlines, and manage multiple projects;
- the ability and willingness to travel up to two weeks per month; and
- a commitment to creating a multicultural, anti-racist organization.
- Familiarity with faith-based organizations, advocacy organizations, or working with disadvantaged populations a plus.
What you are great at:
- Developing and managing relationships with major donors.
- Designing and implementing individual major gift cultivation and stewardship plans with goals for each donor.
- Collaborating with senior staff and volunteers to integrate major gifts progress with an endowment campaign strategy.
What you'll be doing:
- Taking the lead on prospect identification, cultivation, face-to-face solicitation, and stewardship for NETWORK’s individual major donors who support our annual work and will be invited to participate in a three-year, $4 million endowment campaign.
- Growing and managing an active portfolio of major gift donors and prospects.
- Ensuring proper tracking of – and follow-up with – contacts with donors and prospects.
- Travelling for face-to-face cultivation and solicitation.
- Coordinating with the staff teams to develop collateral for major donors.
What it’s like working at NETWORK:
Rooted in Catholic Social Justice, NETWORK is open to all who share our passion for justice. Staff and members are people from a variety of religious and nonreligious backgrounds. As an organization and workplace, NETWORK values work-life balance and strives to be a supportive workplace environment where staff embrace the “Sister-Spirit” of our foundresses by rooting our understanding in encounter, not ideology; prioritizing the well-being of others; seeing everyone as people first, not just roles; and using humor and being feisty in order to be bold and willing to do the unpopular. Read More.
- Salary: $65,000/year
- Additional $1,200/year to help cover commute costs
- Generous time off: two weeks paid vacation, Christmas week off, 12 additional holidays, two personal days
- Platinum level health plan – as well as dental and vision – at no cost to you
- Generous retirement plan and parental leave after one year
- Four staff retreat days; an organizational commitment to professional development and wellness
How to Apply
Cover letter: 2-3 paragraphs in an email (not attached, but written in the body of the email) telling us why you’re interested in this position and why you want to be a part of the NETWORK team. Give us a sense for the level of complexity, quantity, and creativity of the past fundraising projects you’ve engaged in.
Resume: While you may focus on development experience, please include all experience so we get a good picture of what you’ve been up to.
Email: Send materials to Maggie at email@example.com. Please include “Major Gifts Officer” in the subject line.
Timing: This position will stay open as long or as short as needed—until we find the right candidate. We’ll start our first round of interviews from applications received by September 30. Ideally, we’d love for this position to start as early as November 2019 or as late as January 2020.
"*how to apply” instructions inspired from a job posting created by Team Dynamics*