The Akanksha Fund Inc. is a publicly funded charity in the U.S.. For over 20 years, the Fund has raised awareness and provided funding for innovative education initiatives serving low income students in India. Working with the Akanksha Foundation in India, the Fund provides grants to support model schools and initiatives in Mumbai and Pune and advocate for access to quality education for all children.
The Fund works with individuals, foundations and corporations interested in supporting systemic education reform in India and emphasizes education as a trigger for ending the cycle of poverty.
Full or Part Time (at least 25-30 hours a week)
Title: Major Gifts Officer
Salary: Based on experience
We are seeking a Major Gifts Officer to help us create and sustain a major donor program. The Major Gifts Officer will join our team of four in the U.S. and will report directly to the executive director.
As our Major Gifts Officer, you will design, develop and implement our major gift program. You’ll be responsible for managing and cultivating relationships with existing major gift prospects, as well as identifying new prospects. An ability to empathize with donors and clearly communicate our organization’s mission is key. You’ll be expected to energize team members, persuade prospects and persevere to the end.
Location: The position will mostly work remotely with ability to attend meetings and events in NYC regularly.
As our Major Gifts Officer, you will have the opportunity to:
- Help our donors accomplish their philanthropic goals and ambitions through a relationship with our organization
- Manage systems and software to track and cultivate donors and prospects, including our donor database (Bloomerang) and wealth screening tools
- Manage existing portfolio of 50 to 100 donors and prospects
- Work with staff and board members to align efforts and set goals
- Make direct, face-to-face solicitations, and assist the board and other staff with their solicitation (e.g. provide portfolio development support, strategic counsel, and help with donor communications)
- Acknowledge major donors through public and private recognition
- Track and report progress using specific metrics
- Develop effective communications and reports with our team in India
- Organize and plan events focused on cultivating and engaging current and prospective donors
- Support our annual gala outreach
This job might be for you if:
- People have asked if your middle name is “Fundraise.” You’re a true people person with an outgoing nature. You’re a self-starter and are driven by results.
- You have at least 5 years of nonprofit fundraising experience and have shown an ability to secure individual and major gifts and meet objectives. You make donors feel valued because you’re sensitive to their needs.
- You are comfortable using a donor database, conducting prospect research, and using other wealth screening tools to aid in your management process.
- You establish and maintain good working relationships throughout the organization and with outside constituencies.
- You have honed your writing and speaking skills and use them to compel individuals to action.
- You aren’t someone who spends a lot of time in the weeds, but you know donors expect you to be organized, prepared, detail-oriented and to follow through on promises.
- People are inspired by your determination. You bring people in line with a vision and motivate them to reach goals.
We are looking for someone who can make at least a 3-5 year commitment to the organization and will be able to grow with us. Additionally, the candidate should have the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and work productively and independently. Strong organizational skills, event planning experience, excellent writing skills, a people-centered attitude, self-motivation, flexibility, and reliability are also essential. Familiarity with India and/or education work is a plus.
How to Apply
To apply: please send a cover letter, resume, salary history and requirements, and at least three references to Gouri Sadhwani at email@example.com.
For more information about the Akanksha Foundation visit: www.akanksha.org for more information about the Akanksha Fund in the U.S. visit: www.akankshafund.org.
Please note: Applications will be reviewed and interviews conducted on a rolling basis.