The Supporter Engagement Manager will oversee the operations of our remote volunteer teams and will bottom-line the growth of our volunteer program. This includes setting up organizing structures that new activists can easily plug into, cultivating leadership among volunteers, and scaling up the program. Greenpeace’s Supporter Mobilization Team is working to redefine how we build people power as an organization -- and we need someone who can innovate and drive that change with us.
This is a full time; exempt position based in Washington, DC or Oakland, CA.
The Supporter Engagement Manager will:
- Manage 1-2 staff members on Greenpeace’s Supporter Mobilization Team in the first 6 months, with the potential for that number to grow in the future.
- Strategically build Greenpeace’s volunteer organizing structures, making it easy for new supporters to plug in and move up the leadership ladder.
- Help shape and drive Greenpeace USA’s mobilization strategy by experimenting with new engagement tactics.
- Grow Greenpeace’s remote volunteer teams -- these are national volunteer groups that meet online monthly and power Greenpeace campaigns. Our remote volunteers work on text-banking, social media, and writing.
- Manage Greenpeace’s volunteer platform -- ensuring that we are consistently providing exciting ways to plug into environmental movement work, and working with our web team to adapt the platform to best reflect the way we are building people power as we continue to grow our volunteer program. (You can check our platform out here! https://www.greenpeace.org/usa/volunteer-platform)
- Create training materials to help volunteers get involved in our work -- whether it’s launching a local group or organizing their religious institution, workplace, etc.
- Design and oversee A/B tests on Greenpeace’s online-offline organizing work.
- Keep up with industry best practices in distributed organizing and try out new ideas with Greenpeace’s supporter base.
Minimum requirements for the Supporter Engagement Manager include:
- 4-5 years of experience in distributed organizing, digital organizing, or a similar field. (Or alternatively, two or more full political cycles)
- 1-2 years of experience managing staff
- Experience in organizing or a deep knowledge of organizing best practices
- A strong analysis on what makes people join movements and become leaders
- Ability to work across digital channels including email, SMS, Facebook groups, Slack, and social media channels to mobilize supporters
- Experience managing volunteers, working with and leading a variety of people and groups. We manage our volunteers remotely -- so experience with remote management is a huge plus.
- Ability to be agile and responsive to rapidly evolving events
- Eagerness to test out new methods and ideas, and learn from both failures and successes
- A strong commitment to building a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive movement
- Passion for mobilizing people and building power for progressive movements
Additional qualifications for the Supporter Engagement Manager include, but are not limited to:
- Experience with the following tools is strongly desired: Thrutext (formerly known as Relay), Mobile Commons, or other SMS tools; EveryAction or other CRMs; Action Network, Control Shift, or other distributed organizing tools
- Experience with the following tools is a bonus: Wordpress, NewMode
- Experience designing and delivering trainings and/or webinars to large groups of volunteers