Safe Horizon envisions a society free of family and community violence. We will lead the way by empowering victims of domestic violence, child abuse, sexual assault and human trafficking to move from crisis to confidence.
Safe Horizon's mission is to provide support, prevent violence and promote justice for victims of crime and abuse, their families and communities.
Safe Horizon's Facilities and Property Management Department (FPM) is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of its office and residential shelter facilities across New York City. The Residential Shelter Maintenance Worker is assigned to one of Safe Horizon's eight residential facilities that provide safe, temporary housing for victims of domestic violence and their families.
Supervising Maintenance Worker
Under the supervision of the Lead Maintenance Worker, the Residential Shelter Maintenance Worker performs a full range of custodial duties necessary to ensure that the facility is maintained in a clean, safe and comfortable manner. They will also perform basic maintenance and repair tasks as necessary. This position entails working in a supportive housing setting with clients and their families, and requires that employees possess an understanding and appreciation of the sensitive nature of working an environment of this type.
Specific Job Functions:
- Cleaning all elements of the facility's offices, common areas, exteriors, and residential units. Specific tasks include sweeping and mopping floors, wiping down walls and furniture, and similar duties;
- Preparing vacated residential units for new clients by thoroughly cleaning bathrooms, kitchens, painting where needed, installing window blinds, moving and setting up furniture;
- Performing a variety of general and ongoing maintenance tasks such as changing light bulbs, replacing batteries in detector devices, moving supplies furniture and client belongings as needed;
- Performing light construction duties such as dry wall patching and painting, light fixture repair, unclogging sinks and toilets, installing and removing window air conditioning units;
- Utilizing various types of hand and power tools (drills, saws, etc).
- Ability to perform physical activities including climbing stairs, moving furniture and equipment, working with tools and equipment, and lifting and moving items of up to 35lbs;
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a team, taking direction from a supervisor, and completing tasks on an assigned schedule;
- Experience working in a facility/building maintenance capacity.
- High school diploma/G.E.D. or an equivalent combination of education and relevant work experience.
- Valid New York State driver’s license;
- Certification in a building trade, maintenance, building system and/or equipment repair;
- Experience working in a supporting housing and/or residential setting;
- Familiarity with the operation of basic building systems such as boilers and heating systems, fire suppression and alarm systems, and plumbing systems.
If hired, I agree to abide by all of Safe Horizon’s rules and regulations, and understand that, if employed, my employment may be terminated with or without cause, and with or without notice, at any time, at the option of either the company or me. I further understand that no representation, whether oral or written by any representative or agent of the organization, at any time, constitutes a contract of employment
AmeriCorps, Peace Corps and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply
Please follow this link to view complete EEO Law and complaint filing information:
Safe Horizon is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and compliance with all Federal, State, and Local laws concerning employment discrimination, harassment and retaliation including the Americans with Disabilities Act. Safe Horizon ensures equal opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, religion, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, lawful immigrant status, physical, mental, and medical disability, veteran status or liability for service in the United States Armed Forces. We are dedicated to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff and clients.
How to Apply
Apply online via the following link: https://safehorizon.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=1&id=994