VillageReach transforms health care delivery to reach everyone. Our vision is a world where every person has the health care needed to thrive. Our programs focus on building people-centered health systems that make sure health products and services are available when and where they are needed, with a focus on developing scalable, high-impact solutions. We are driven by a passion for collaboration and partnership, as we believe strongly that collective action is the only way to achieve sustainable change. Our work increases access to quality health care for more than 35 million people in sub-Saharan Africa. VillageReach is incorporated in Washington State and has offices in Seattle (USA), Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, and Mozambique.
The Communications team at VillageReach influences audiences to support VillageReach’s mission while building equity in the organizational brand. The Senior Associate, Communications reports to the Senior Manager, Communications and will work with the broader Advocacy and Communications team to increase visibility of VillageReach, its programs and impact.
We are seeking an individual with exceptional writing abilities and a breadth of communications experience to join us in delivering world-class communications that engages and inspires. This will include writing for the organization’s digital communications vehicles, as well as other responsibilities such as managing integrated campaigns, media relations, light design and the shaping of a conference strategy. In this role you would also be supporting the Director, Development with fundraising communications and campaigns. The Senior Associate will also help the Senior Manager, Communications to build an organization of storytellers.
Senior Manager, Communications
The following competencies reflect what is expected of all VillageReach employees; including examples of how one might demonstrate each of these competencies in one’s role.
- Personal Motivation and Drive: Is self-directed in one’s approach to work, but asks for help when needed; holds oneself accountable; undertakes self-development activities; seeks to build and master new skills; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities within the organization
- Collaboration & Effective Communication: Establishes and maintains effective relations with coworkers, partners & stakeholders and external parties; works collaboratively with others to accomplish organizational and team goals and objectives; works actively to resolve conflicts; expresses ideas and thoughts effectively; selects and uses appropriate communication methods and maintains meaningful communication with virtual coworkers and other parties to keep them informed.
- Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Takes personal responsibility for and supports others across the organization in creating and sustaining a diverse work environment where individuals are welcomed, valued, respected and supported; personally committed to attaining cultural competency including self-awareness of one’s own attitudes about culture and cross-cultural interactions; exhibits the willingness and ability to engage openly and respectfully around issues of race, colonialism, identity and culture; upholds equity in access to sharing of information, ideas, and opportunities throughout VillageReach.
- Commitment to Excellence: Produces a high output of work, both in terms of quality and quantity; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; monitors work to ensure quality; has a personal commitment to the mission of VillageReach.
- Solution Orientation & Innovation: Focuses on results and desired outcomes and how to best achieve them; gets the job done; sees opportunities for creative problem-solving while staying within the parameters of good practice; sees old problems in new ways and has novel approaches to solving those problems; contributes original and/or resourceful ideas to their area of responsibility; is able to consider and articulate risks and consequences of proposed innovations and factor these into decision-making.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SOCIAL MEDIA –. Well-versed with the development of sophisticated social media strategies and plan execution will be necessary to succeed in this role. Proven experience in community managing social channels is a must.
WRITING - Exceptional writing skills across a range of mediums is an absolute must. This role will be focused on writing, editing, proofreading and producing content, such as articles, blog posts, press releases, presentations and collateral for donors, governments and other stakeholders
STORYTELLING – Demonstrates a deep understanding of the elements of storytelling, which includes writing for audiences targeting key messages and call-to-actions.
BRAND – Understands branding in the non-profit context. This includes supporting the development of messaging, providing guidance to organizational brand ambassadors and the management of assets such as brand, language and photography guidelines.
MEASUREMENT – Ability to produce digital and post-campaign reports. This requires a knowledge of the best practices for measurement of digital and what key performance indicators are important based on campaign objective.
PROJECT & VENDOR MANAGEMENT – Experience with building timelines to manage and meet project due dates will be critical to your success in this role. This is a fast-paced work environment with multiple projects, where in some cases you will work with outside vendors.
- Fluency in French or Portuguese
- Experience with producing/editing video, photo/image management and designing light graphical assets.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
Education & Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in communications, public relations or journalism in an international development, advocacy and/or health communications role.
- Bachelor’s degree, ideally in a communications-related discipline.
- Subject-matter expertise in areas such as global health, international relations and public health is highly useful.
- Established cultural competency in partnering with racial, cultural and linguistically diverse groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of challenges with working in rural, under-served and low-income environments.
- Is a quick learner, and capable of being flexible, highly organized and a juggler of multiple projects.
- Power-user proficiency in PowerPoint; familiarity with design software; InDesign a plus.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and comfortable in a fast-paced technical environment.
$55.700 - $60,000
VillageReach has an established compensation structure that is based on the relevant market and internally transparent. We hire people into the established range based on one’s experience and education and considering internal equity. We do not inquire about salary history.
Environment and Physical Demands
VillageReach has no private offices, employees work in a shared, open environment with task and conference rooms accessible to employees for privacy and meetings. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet. Due to the time zone differences between our Seattle office and our Country Offices and location of other global staff, US based staff are expected to be available for early morning meetings starting at 6am. In addition, our global HQ and Country office staff are expected to be available for late afternoon/evening meetings up to 6pm.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION:
VillageReach is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. We believe that diverse, equitably weighted perspectives foster an organizational capacity to create novel solutions that improve health in the most underserved and hard-to-reach areas. To align our values, innovations and impact, VillageReach is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse global workforce.
How to Apply
This is an immediate hire and therefore resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis until filled. To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter [plus any other desired materials] to our online portal: http://www.villagereach.org/join-us/