DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company's 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary change makers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. They help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and is sensitive to the ethical considerations they have.
As the Manager, Communications, you will play a strategic role supporting DataKind through codifying and building out communication vehicles like newsletters, blog posts, case studies, op-eds, presentations, campaigns, and the DataKind website while working to ensure consistency and clarity of branding and messaging across all internal and external communication. You will work closely with the Head of Communications, specifically creating and managing an internal communications calendar and approval protocols as well redesigning and deploying the website. You will also work to package, share, and promote results and learnings from DataKind’s Impact Practices.This is an ideal role for a communications professional with experience in communications, journalism, public relations, or social impact.
Head of Communications
The Manager, Communications will be responsible for the following in addition to any other project as assigned by their manager:
- Ensure internal initiatives and projects are successfully communicated to employees.
- Develop communication materials for a variety of internal communications uses, including sourcing information, drafting materials, editing, and publishing a variety of formats.
- Plan, edit, and write content for a variety of internal communications documents and programs that support the organization, such as announcements, newsletters, webcasts, FAQs, fact sheets/one pagers, and talking points.
- Ensure branding and messaging are clear and consistent across functions and geographies.
- Build and maintain a master communications calendar for internal use.
- Advise key communicators on internal communication materials and strategies.
- Identify best practices and emerging strategies within internal communications.
- Draft press releases, op-eds, commentaries, blog posts, case studies, media advisories, email blasts, direct mail, components of grant reports and deliverables, print and digital advertising, media pitches, and any other communications and marketing materials as directed.
- Plan and create the content development, editing, design, production, approvals, distribution, and public relations of all marketing materials.
- Help to cultivate relationships with volunteers, project partners, funders, reporters, conference organizers, and other key audiences to maintain visibility of DataKind’s work and drive impact.
- Craft talking points and messaging for DataKind leaders and outside spokespeople to prepare for events, speaking opportunities, and media interviews.
- Develop marketing materials for the organization, including pitch decks, fact sheets, and one pagers; work with freelancers (designers and copywriters) to fulfill additional promotional needs.
- Develop and manage the website to better support staff and communicate organizational goals.
- Collaborate with the team to identify opportunities to promote the organization on social media channels and when appropriate contribute to the social media content calendar.
- Measure and monitor performance of communications and marketing initiatives to determine potential needs for course correction.
- Maintain oversight of DataKind’s digital analytics, including the website and newsletters.
- Interpret and analyze marketing data and develop recommended strategies and tactics supported by the analytics/findings.
- Partner with team leaders to develop clear objectives and success measures for all communications and marketing initiatives.
- At least five years working in journalism, communications, marketing, or public relations with a desire to dive in and learn quickly a plus.
- Superior writing skills with the ability to think critically and creatively about different forms of media in light of message, target audience, and delivery.
- Expert in voice and style with experience in brand management.
- Experience working with or writing about the field of data science and AI a plus.
- Familiarity with Mailchimp, Meetup, Eventbrite, and Medium; content management systems also a plus.
Commensurate with Experience
Why Work with DataKind
At DataKind, they believe that people are the most important asset to delivering on their mission to collaboratively design data-driven, innovative solutions to tough social challenges. Working with them means that you will have:
- Flexibility in your working schedule. This includes things like working from home, leaving early to care for kids, coming in late to walk your dog, etc. This also means that you have unlimited PTO.
- Access to a generous health plan. They pay 100% of medical, vision, and dental benefits for employees and contribute partially for spouse/kids/family members.
- Support to plan for your future. They offer a 401(k) match up to 5%.
- Opportunities to learn and grow. Each year, they budget for each staff person to have ongoing professional development support.
Who You Are
- A strategic storyteller.You have an excellent ability to communicate through diverse media and have a strong portfolio of blogs, proposals, newsletters, press releases, bylines, etc. You also think and act strategically to enable each piece to fit together into the larger picture.
- A relationship builder. You authentically develop and manage relationships with a diverse community of stakeholders. You can accurately and effectively represent your team to community members, conference organizers, reporters, vendors, and everyone in between.
- An outstanding writer. At your core, you love writing, and you possess a strong passion for the power of words. Your exemplary grammar and communication skills will be key, too. You are a strong writer with superb proofreading and editing skills; you’re extremely attentive to accuracy.
- Service-oriented.You have a service mindset. You have had experience with customer service in the past, whether in a professional setting or a volunteer capacity. You have built up a skill set in addressing people’s needs and asks, and managing expectations as well as timelines. You are known for your “can-do” attitude and for always being graciously helpful.
- Visually creative. You might not be a designer by training, but you have an eye for design and can effectively contribute to visual media. You can develop the message, including some of the aesthetics, to resonate with diverse, target audiences, and add the final polishing touches.
- You bring people together. You know how to build buy-in from a variety of stakeholders, ensuring they have shared ownership over decisions and deliverables. You have time-tested strategies in your toolkit to support effective decision making processes related to communications, and have developed proven internal management systems that drive consistent results.
- You are values-aligned.You share DataKind’s values of humility, transparency, diversity, equity, inclusion, thoughtfulness, expertise, and approachability.
How to Apply
This search is being managed by Axis Talent Partners, a boutique executive search and talent strategy firm which partners with social justice-focused organizations. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in our mission and qualifications for the position to:
DataKind is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Naturally, we are an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage candidates from underrepresented groups in tech to apply. DataKind does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected category.