DataKind is a global nonprofit dedicated to harnessing the power of data science and artificial intelligence (AI) in the service of humanity. Named one of Fast Company's 2017 top 10 innovative nonprofits, DataKind teams talented pro bono experts from academia and industry with visionary change makers to collaboratively design innovative solutions to tough social challenges. They help social organizations apply their data to predictive analytics, machine learning algorithms, and AI needs in a way that both increases impact and is sensitive to the ethical considerations they have.
The Director, Technology plays a key leadership role at DataKind and for its chapters around the world. Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, you’ll work collaboratively with the heads of Communications, Product, Business Development, and Global Volunteers to spearhead technology initiatives to support operations, project delivery and optimization, development of DataKind’s website and data backend, and eventually advise on the release of software products to the public. You’ll also be responsible for building and managing DataKind’s tech team, consisting of staff, contractors, and volunteers, as well as creating and implementing best-in-class systems and processes related to data security.
Chief Operating Officer
What You’ll Do
The Director, Technology is responsible for the following in addition to any other project as assigned by their manager:
Devise DataKind’s technology strategy
- Develop and oversee technology goals and metrics and coordinate development roadmap, budget, and timelines.
- In concert with senior leaders, develop and implement a new website leveraging the DataKind branding strategy.
- Ensure technical activities are in strategic alignment with the product and business goals.
- Implement consistent tracking, management, and analysis of data on projects and portfolios in support of the Product team.
- Identify creative product opportunities from project experiences across DataKind.
- Identify or develop a volunteer management system in collaboration with the Director, Global Volunteers.
- Leverage Salesforce to create a contract management system that allows DataKind to usher legal agreements through the approval process and help staff adhere to contractual terms.
Streamline and maintain technical services and support for staff and volunteers
- Maintain regulatory, data security, and cybersecurity requirements set by funders, partners, and the jurisdictions in which DataKind operates.
- Update and manage the DataKind helpdesk, providing rapid response technology support to DataKind staff and volunteer leaders.
- Ensure that volunteer data scientists have a seamless experience completing their projects with data, services, and project management tools readily available (e.g. AWS, Slack, Asana, and any custom software needs).
Build and lead the Technology team
- Recruit and develop a team of world-class technologists.
- Build healthy collaboration across a mix of full-time, contract, and volunteer team members.
- Experience developing a technology vision and strategy in conversation with senior leadership and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated track record of enhancing, implementing, and enforcing processes to increase operational efficiency. Principled in generating and maintaining software and systems documentation.
- Prior success leading software development, deployment, and operations under significant schedule and budget constraints.
- Familiarity with operational security concepts, modern data science toolkits, platforms, and services, and GDPR and other regulations.
- Preferably experienced in coding and leveraging code from open source locations, and proficiency with any of the following: AWS, Github, WordPress, Python, Postgres, SQL, and Salesforce.
- A Bachelor's degree strongly preferred.
Commensurate with Experience
Why Work with DataKind
At DataKind, they believe that people are the most important asset to delivering on their mission to collaboratively design data-driven, innovative solutions to tough social challenges. Working with them means that you will have:
- Flexibility in your working schedule. This includes things like working from home, leaving early to care for kids, coming in late to walk your dog, etc. This also means that you have unlimited PTO.
- Access to a generous health plan. They pay 100% of medical, vision and dental benefits for employees and contribute partially for spouse/kids/family members.
- Support to plan for your future. They offer a 401(k) match up to 5%.
- Opportunities to learn and grow. Each year, they budget for each staff person to have ongoing professional development support.
Who You Are
- You’re a human-centered technologist. You know that technology is nothing without the people it serves. While passionate about the power of computing, you always work in partnership with your users, whether it’s someone in the office or across the world, developing your ability to anticipate their needs. You’re thoughtful about the way your systems can empower and enrich, as well as how they might inadvertently harm.
- You architect for easy maintenance.Sure, you’ve got engineering chops, but you’re always thinking of others now and in the future. You design simple systems that solve real needs without creating a bunch of new ones. You stay in touch with the latest techniques and technologies so you can identify the most useful tools for the job and anticipate what’s on the horizon.
- You’re a proven coach. You’re excellent at getting the best out of people and appreciate the job of recruiting and mentoring technology talent. You’ve led and built technology teams and know how to get them to work as one.
- You get stuff done. You thoughtfully translate strategic planning into concrete results, especially in the short-term. Whether it’s on your own, or through staff, contractors, or volunteers, your experience, transparency, and organization allow you to get the nuts and bolts in place in record time, always with support and input from the rest of the organization.
- You’re values-aligned.You share DataKind’s values of humility, transparency, diversity, equity, inclusion, thoughtfulness, expertise, and approachability. At DataKind, they deliberately live values that contradict the negative stereotypes of technologists, and so do you.
How to Apply
This search is being managed by Axis Talent Partners, a boutique executive search and talent strategy firm which partners with social justice-focused organizations. Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest in our mission and qualifications for the position to: