Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs and services for Children and Youth, Adults and Families, and Older Adults. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities. We are a modern interpretation of the traditional settlement house, bringing to our work current best practices, innovative leadership, and a passion for social and economic justice. We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives.
We are seeking a qualified Counseling Specialist with a strong commitment to social work and educational achievement to work in our Learning to Work Program (LTW) located at Queens Satellite High School for Opportunity. The LTW is an alternative pathway to graduation for youth 16 years and older, funded by The NYC Department of Education and implemented in collaboration with Queens Community House (QCH). We are committed to providing support services to students who desire to pursue their high school diploma. Students in the LTW program are given the opportunity to participate 10 hours a week in a paid internship and expand their knowledge of career and college options at one-hour weekly seminars.
- Serve as primary counseling contact for the program, carrying a caseload and performing individual counseling and case management duties for the most at-risk students.
- Perform all duties related to carrying a primary counselor caseload, including attendance outreach, one-on- one counseling and group advisory.
- Provide assessment, counseling, and mental health referrals in addition to follow-up services.
- Welcome students and take daily school attendance to foster positive engagement
- Counsel students on the creation and implementation of a post-secondary plan for college, training and /or employment
- Provide a minimum of 2 individual sessions per student per month; one on academic progress and one on career advisement then maintain case files and enter weekly progress note into Google forms.
- Meet with advisors and their supervisor to consult on cases that require detailed assessment and interventions monthly or as needed.
- Create an environment that promotes learning in the field of social work principles and ethics.
- Plan and facilitate monthly case conferencing meeting for the entire QCH team.
- Engage student’s families to support positive outcomes for students.
- Keep accurate case records; input all case notes into Salesforce.
- Offer workshops and groups in areas relating to mental health such as abuse prevention, coping with stress, healthy relationships, peer pressure, etc.
- Point person for alumni services.
- Participate in and represent the agency in professional meetings and committees.
- Refer students who have applied to LaGuardia and or Queensborough Community College as their 1st or 2nd choice on their CUNY application to the CASP case manager. Introduce the internship program and refer appropriate students to the Internship Coordinator
- Meet with staff from sister LTW sites to share learning, compare approaches and develop new program ideas.
- Work closely with DOE staff in regards to any and all mental health protocols.
- Provide continuous feedback and resources to meet the students’ individual needs.
- Assist with out-of-school issues and provide crisis intervention as needed.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Mental Health, Psychology, Sociology, Human Services, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years' of experience working with youth preferably in a NYC high school setting.
- Experience in facilitating group sessions in community services, leadership, college readiness and employment opportunities with a connection to counseling.
- Minimum of two (2) years of supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, relationship development, multi-tasking, and communication skills. Ability to take initiative and always address concerns in a timely and professional manner.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Excellent computer skills with various programs and willingness to learn new ones.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package includes medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such staff can earn up to 27 annual leave days (17 to start), 12 sick days, and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities.
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: Low to Mid $50K range w/ Excellent Benefits
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, 8 am-4 pm
How to Apply
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Counseling Specialist – Queens Satellite” at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please Note: Applications submitted without a formal cover letter will not be considered