ABOUT JESS CURTIS/GRAVITY
Gravity is an international Dance/Performance company based in San Francisco and Berlin. Founded in 2000 by choreographer-director Jess Curtis, Gravity creates exceptionally engaging body-based art that physically explores and addresses issues and ideas of substance and relevance to anyone with a body. In addition to creating, producing, and touring original performance works instigated by Artistic Director Jess Curtis, Gravity serves emerging artists and helps make the performing arts more accessible to people with disabilities through Gravity Access Services Programs. Gravity has evolved out of DIY Anarcho-Punk collectivist sensibilities of SF in the 80’s and keeps those values close at hand while continuing to thrive into the 21st century.
Gravity’s activities, programs and budgets have expanded significantly in the past three years. This new position will work closely to support Artistic Director Jess Curtis and will be responsible for implementing administrative and fundraising systems and growing the company’s Audio Description and Artist Support programs.
Location: San Francisco/Bay Area; Position type: Independent Contractor 25-35 hours/week; Compensation: $22-27/hr depending on experience; Start Date: Immediately
- Communications: managing company email, snail mail and voicemail. Responding to inquiries promptly. Scheduling, facilitating and documenting meetings with staff and consultants.
- Database, Information & Website Management: managing and maintaining company records, and audience, donor, client and partner data in MailChimp and Salesforce; managing and executing bulk email sends; working with Gravity’s Web Designer to maintain and update company websites.
- Board Support: providing logistical support and documentation at quarterly Board Meetings; answering Board inquiries between meetings and supporting Board-led efforts like Gravity’s annual fundraiser.
- Virtual Office Management: Maintaining all company files, both digital and physical; official registrations, licenses and memberships.
- Grants Management: keeping our organizational grants calendar up to date; researching new grant opportunities; submitting grant applications and reports; preparing and drafting grant proposals in collaboration with Gravity’s Artistic Director and grant writing consultant.
- Individual Donor Management: Tracking donor and prospective relationships with individuals; creating and implementing fundraising campaigns through the use of SalesForce and other tools.
PROGRAM MANAGEMENT & EXPANSION [30%]
- Manage and continue to develop our Artist Services Programs and our Access Services/Audio Description Program. Managing these programs requires consistent and timely coordination and follow-up with artists, clients and community partners.
PRODUCTION COORDINATION [20%]
Working closely with Artistic Director to plan and oversee Gravity projects including our annual SF Home season, creation and touring projects. Includes planning, budgeting, coordinating the hiring of appropriate creative and production staff, space rental, travel booking, Interfacing with PR and Marketing consultants and managing relationships with collaborators and community partners. Working with our bookkeeper to track and manage project financials; coordinating outreach to inter/national presenters and documentation.
WHAT WE’RE REALLY LOOKING FOR
- Project management skills with strong time management, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to analyze priorities and manage workflow.
- Ability to work both independently and on projects with others.
- Strong troubleshooting capabilities and a flexible, innovative approach to problem solving.
- Strategic thinking and analytical skills, with the ability to look ahead.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and an ability to work with varied communication styles.
- Proficiency in computer applications, especially Google Suite, Excel, Word and MailChimp immediately necessary. An ability to get up to speed on SalesForce CRM quickly, online databases, and social media desired. Extra points for basic video editing and graphic design skills.
- Commitment to equity and inclusion, and the ability to work with diverse groups of artists and audiences. The ideal candidate will be politically aware and sensitive to the plurality of thought and culture both within the many communities Gravity serves.
Position type: Independent Contractor 25-35 hours/week
Compensation: $22-27/hr depending on experience
HOW WE WORK
- Our team is made up of part time staff and contractors. Our work is rooted in collaboration and improvisation. We value flexibility, creativity and initiative in both our studio and our administrative work.
- Currently we mostly work remotely with one weekly half-day of co-working at our downtown San Francisco shared office space.
- Other than these meetings, the timing and location of work is up to the individual, although timely responses to team communications require significant daily attention.
- Several times a year the Artistic Director works from our Berlin offices or is on tour, so the ability to work across time zones is essential.
- We believe in work life balance and are committed to keeping the workload aligned with the true hours worked.
How to Apply
APPLICATION & HIRING PROCESS
Please email a resume and a detailed cover letter explaining your interest in the position and our organization, along with the names and contact information for three or more references, to firstname.lastname@example.org subject line: General Manager
Please make sure that references are from current and/or former supervisors and that information includes names, phone numbers, emails and the name of the organization where you worked with each person.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and the position will remain open until filled. Early submissions are encouraged. No phone calls or packets by regular mail, please. Jess Curtis/Gravity provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees, contractors and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability, gender or gender presentation.