Organization: The Children’s Environmental Literacy Foundation’s – “CELF” – mission is to make sustainability education an integral part of every school’s curricula and culture, from kindergarten through high school. Our approach is comprehensive, engaging students, teachers and administrators, parents, communities and businesses through professional development, consulting services, and experiential programs. CELF is a small non-profit led by a team of highly-collaborative, dedicated professionals. Growing demand for our services has opened new opportunities in our home market of NY and new market in Houston, TX that requires creative and strategic fundraising to increase CELF’s operating capacity. This position is an exciting opportunity for engagement with a dynamic team in a rapidly evolving field addressing some of the most pressing issues of our times.
Summary: The Development Director will collaborate with the Executive Director to secure a diverse revenue stream for a growing non-profit. S/he will work closely with the Executive Director, senior management, the board of directors, and program staff to achieve CELF’s development goals. The Director of Development will report to the Executive Director. S/he provides innovative and strategic leadership in the planning, implementation, and management of the organization’s annual fundraising plan and long-term development strategies. The Development Director will be responsible for growing the organization financially and overseeing an integrated strategic communications plan to support fundraising efforts, while fostering a sense of philanthropy throughout the organization.
A new position in the organization, the Development Director will have the opportunity to build the development function. In partnership with the ED, this position is responsible for all fundraising and development activities, including:
- Forging new relationships to build out CELF’s visibility and impact;
- Designing and implementing a comprehensive plan for developing external alliances
- Establishing and implementing infrastructure to grow $1M budget
- Expanding and diversifying donor pipeline and secure new funding initiatives
- Working closely with Board of Directors to take on more active fundraising roles
- Donor stewardship in key CELF markets, initially NY Metro Area and Houston, TX: collaborate with Executive Director and work closely with Board of Directors to provide guidance and written support for donor recognition, write copy for and oversee production of solicitation materials, and implement and administer a donor mailing list and fundraising database and tracking systems.
- Grants: Research, write, and edit grant applications in collaboration with Executive Director.
- Fundraising Events: Oversee execution of fundraising or donor cultivation events, including but not limited to cocktail parties, salons and panel discussions.
- Corporate outreach: Research and conduct outreach to prospective corporate sponsor partners.
- Oversee P/T communications manager and interns and creation of publications and marketing collateral to support fund raising activities.
- Maintain gift recognition programs and ensure timely and accurate report deliveries to funders.
- Achieve, at a minimum, annual benchmarks with planned and actualized increased performance thereafter.
- Manage the implementation of NEON dms and oversee staff responsible for data entry and gift processing
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's preferred
- 7-plus years of professional fund development experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources)
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated corporate partnerships and donor relationships over time
- Excellent database and computer skills and experience using technology to streamline processes. NEON experience preferred.
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives; work independently and as a team player when necessary.
- Ability to work both independently without close oversight, but also a team player who will productively engage with others at varying levels of seniority within and outside CELF.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail
Salary Range : $75,000 - $100,000; salary commensurate with experience
Travel: 3-4 trips/yr to Houston for Corporate Investor/fund development meetings
How to Apply
Apply: Email your resume and cover letter to Pallavi Mehta: firstname.lastname@example.org; please include “Director of Development Application” in the “Subject” line.