We Connect People Who Care with Causes that Matter
THE YAMPA VALLEY COMMUNITY FOUNDATION IS THE PRIMARY SOURCE FOR PHILANTHROPIC RESOURCES AND EDUCATION FOR DONORS AND NONPROFIT ORGANIZATIONS IN NORTHWEST COLORADO. WE PROMOTE THOUGHTFUL, INDIVIDUALIZED CHARITABLE GIVING AND CREATE ENDOWMENTS THAT HAVE MEANINGFUL IMPACT IN THE YAMPA VALLEY.
The Community Foundation began with a purpose. In 1979, a group of local citizens formed the Yampa Valley Foundation in order to save the financially beleaguered Yampa Valley College. By 1983 the Foundation had successfully saved what is now the Colorado Mountain College, Alpine Campus.
Between 1984 and 1995 the Yampa Valley Foundation served as a community based multi-purpose foundation, with a number of charitable funds and activities under the 501(c)(3) umbrella. In 1996, the Foundation reorganized and adopted a broader focus, adding ‘Community’ to its name and purpose. As a Community Foundation, the focus shifted to raising funds to grant money in the Yampa Valley to enhance education, arts, health and human services, recreation and the environment. The Foundation made this move by partnering with the Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation (SSRC). This partnership provided a ski pass program, the Passport Club, to the Community Foundation and the program is still in operation today. Funds generated by selling Passport Club memberships are used to pay the administrative costs of the Community Foundation and supported grants.
Today, the Community Foundation is poised for a new era of growth, impact and community leadership. Our nearly 150 funds and total assets of more than $20 million position us to be the philanthropic center for the Yampa Valley. The Board of Trustees and staff of the Community Foundation aim to grow our Foundation by forming new partnerships, strengthening relationships with existing supporters, advocating solutions, and allocating resources for a better tomorrow for the Yampa Valley.
To understand more about the impact of our work across the Yampa Valley, please take a look at our most recent annual report: https://yvcf.org/about-us/annual-reports/ .
Executive Director Position Overview
The Board of the Yampa Valley Community Foundation now seeks an Executive Director to lead our continuing efforts in these areas and to ensure a strong, vibrant community impact presence across the Valley. We seek a leader who is committed to community impact, to donor stewardship, to the development of effective, vibrant non-profits, and to the professional growth of a top notch staff.
The Executive Director is responsible for directing all aspects of the Yampa Valley Community Foundation with oversight and direction from the Board of Trustees. Duties include establishing and executing a clear, compelling strategic vision for the Foundation and nurturing meaningful relationships with Board of Trustees, Donors, Nonprofit Organizations and Community Leaders throughout the Yampa Valley to advance the mission of the organization. The position is visible, accessible and accountable to all constituents.
Board of Trustees
Opportunity for Impact
The incoming Executive Director will lead efforts for the Foundation in several areas over the next few years:
- Partner with the Board of Trustees to develop and execute a dynamic strategic vision for the Foundation with clear targets for impact.
- Engage new supporters in the work of the Foundation and continue to grow donor advised funds, endowment funds, and operating funds.
- Maintain the role and visibility of the Foundation in regional networks including Philanthropy Colorado and the Colorado Nonprofit Association.
- Develop optimal organization structure and staff mix to deliver efficient and effective services.
- Enhance the Foundation’s business model for long-term financial sustainability.
- Ensure that the Board of Trustees represents the full geographic breadth of the Yampa Valley.
- Determine and execute long term facility plans.
- Enhance connections and relationships with nonprofits, donors, and community leaders in Steamboat Springs and the surrounding communities in Routt and Moffat counties.
- Maintain strong partnership with Steamboat Ski & Resort Corporation.
Leading the Yampa Valley Community Foundation requires a diverse set of professional skills and personal qualities. This is an opportunity for a talented leader to support growth, impact, and real community development. To realize these goals, qualified candidates will have experience and skills in these specific areas:
Leadership, Management & Communication Skills
- Minimum of eight years in upper level administrative management capacities in the nonprofit, public, or corporate sector with experience in directing effective growth and managing change.
- Proven ability to develop, implement, and evaluate long term strategic vision and supporting annual operating plans.
- Direct experience in managing foundation operations or equivalent philanthropic sector experience required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent management, team-building, and collaborative skills.
- Proven revenue generation and finance skills and experience; values working with donors directly and is comfortable making a direct ask for funds.
- Demonstrates sound business judgment and strong financial and investment acumen.
- Understands and values equity as an organizational operating principle and is committed to continued learning on issues related to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Proven ability to manage community relations and to be an engaged member of the community.
- Demonstrates consistently high degree of ethics and integrity and thus can take full responsibility as an agent of the foundation.
Relationship Development Skills
- Inspires the trust of the board of trustees, staff and the community.
- Has experience in working with a volunteer governing board and supporting their development.
- Demonstrates deep, effective relationship building and public relations skills.
- Demonstrates willingness and ability to serve as the public face of the foundation with diverse stakeholders in a wide variety of settings and venues.
- Works well in a team environment and is committed to shared success.
- Empowers team members to deliver agreed results and meet goals.
- Works well with people of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Demonstrates effective counseling, diplomacy, and conflict resolution skills.
- Passionate about the outdoors
- Inspiring, persuasive, committed
- Works well in a team environment and is committed to shared success
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Smart, action-oriented, professional
- Open to taking calculated risks, curious, open-minded
- Open to incorporating best practices from elsewhere and actively seeks them out
- Self-confident but not arrogant
- Graduate degree in nonprofit administration, business administration, or a closely related field, or equivalent work experience preferred.
How to Apply
Ready to Apply?
If you are excited about the opportunity to provide vision and leadership for the next chapter of the Yampa Valley Community Foundation’s growth, we want to hear from you as soon as possible. Please send cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Carolyn McCormick of Peak HR Consulting, LLC at email@example.com. All applications are to be submitted electronically. To learn more about the Foundation and this opportunity, please visit us at www.yvcf.org.
YVCF is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, disability,
religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, military status, or any other protected classification.