CORPORATE EVENTS ASSOCIATE (full-time, seasonal)
Help one of NYC’s most dynamic new destinations grow! The Friends of Governors Island seeks a full- time seasonal Corporate Events Associate to assist with planning and coordination of corporate events on Governors Island. This is a temporary position, starting in early April and concluding in November. If you love the outdoors, are a people person who loves public speaking, and are a rock-star event planner, this is the job for you!
About Governors Island and the Friends of Governors Island
Governors Island is a 172-acre island in the heart of New York Harbor located between Lower Manhattan and the Brooklyn waterfront. A former military base closed to the public for nearly two centuries, today the Island is a popular seasonal destination. An award-winning new park is complemented by dozens of unique historic buildings, environmental educational facilities, a rich arts and culture program and a 22-acre National Monument managed by the National Park Service. Unlike anywhere else in New York, Governors Island offers peaceful settings with sweeping views of the Harbor, Lower Manhattan skyline and Statue of Liberty. Looking ahead, the Island will be activated year- round as a sustainable campus for learning and innovation, with plans for expanded commercial and non-profit uses in its future.
The Friends of Governors Island is an independent nonprofit that works to ensure the Island’s continued growth and accessibility as a vibrant public resource. As the designated fundraising partner of the Trust for Governors Island and the National Park Service, the Friends stewards the Island’s green spaces, enhances the visitor experience and builds a community dedicated to the Island’s future.
About the Position
The Friends engages a diverse portfolio of corporate partners in the stewardship and enjoyment of Governors Island by planning fun and fulfilling corporate events, retreats and volunteer outings. The Corporate Events Associate position provides an excellent opportunity to gain experience in all aspects of nonprofit corporate fundraising, including program coordination, event planning and execution, prospect research, communications, relationship management and administration. You will be a part of a small, fun, hardworking, rapidly-growing mission-focused team, and get to work outside in one of the most unique public spaces in New York City! The Associate will report to the Manager of Community & Corporate Engagement, and will be an important member of the Friends’ fundraising team. The ideal candidate for this position is outgoing and energetic, with excellent organizational skills and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Here’s what you’ll do as part of our team:
Event Planning & Logistics (75%)
Help with the booking of corporate retreats, crafting proposals and managing the summer event calendar. Manage logistical planning for corporate retreats from start to finish, including setting the daily schedules for each retreat, arranging catering, booking group activities with Island vendors, and more
- Coordinate with the Island’s operations and programming staff and vendors in advance of each event, to ensure that each group has a successful and enjoyable retreat
- Act as the primary point of contact for booked corporate retreats, including sharing event and transportation details with group leads, responding to questions, and making ferry/security arrangements
- Assist the Manager or Corporate and Community Engagement with running the corporate retreat on the day of the event, including setup and cleanup, welcoming groups, assisting with ferry boarding and check-in, handling group catering, facilitating on-Island activities, photographing events, and troubleshooting issues that arise during events
- Execute thorough event follow-up, including debriefing with Island vendors, sending follow ups to corporate event leads, and sending thank-you emails to participants
- Generate content for Governors Island social media channels to highlight corporate engagement contributions and opportunities
Corporate volunteer event support (10%)
• For the Friends’ Corporate Volunteer events throughout the summer, support development team as needed including assisting with ferry boarding and check-in, taking photos, and escorting groups to project site
- Research and assist with outreach to potential corporate partners
- Perform other administrative support tasks for the Friends as needed
- Attend and support select Island fundraising and cultivation events
- Pro-active and energetic, with ability to take initiative with complex events
- Comfort multi-tasking and managing several projects at once
- Flexibility to adapt in a changing environment; excellent problem-solving skills
- Exceptional communication and public speaking skills; comfort speaking in front of a crowd
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail
- Experience working effectively with people of various backgrounds
Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Docs is required; experience with Salesforce,
Asana, Mailchimp, and Flickr is a plus
- Passionate about public spaces and the value they bring to urban environments; experience or interest in working in a public park or garden setting is preferred
- Ability to work on weekends, as needed (compensatory time will be provided)
- Comfortable with and enjoy working outdoors with the ability to perform physical labor in all weather conditions
- Ability to lift up to 25lbs
- Ability to walk up to two miles a day
- Valid driver’s license, and comfort driving a golf cart, required
Job Applicant Information
Job applicants must be available to work five days a week, including the occasional weekend day (compensatory time will be provided). Holidays and some evening work may be requested. The position
will start in early April and end in November. This job requires periods of standing and walking outdoors, in addition to occasional heavy lifting. Please note that this position is not benefitted, though Paid Time Off is provided.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter with the subject line “Corporate Events Associate” to
The Friends of Governors Island does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.