Results for America is the leading, national nonprofit organization helping policymakers at all levels of government harness the power of evidence and data to solve the world’s greatest challenges. Our mission is to make investing in what works the “new normal,” so that, one day, all government leaders use rigorous evidence and quality data to inform important policy and funding decisions. We believe that data-driven and evidence-based policy decisions could significantly increase the impact of the over $1 trillion that governments spend annually to address the needs of the most vulnerable Americans.
Founded in 2012, RFA spent its first three years partnering with policy innovators to build the credibility of evidence-based policymaking, securing early and important wins in education, expanding its work to multiple levels of government and driving awareness and demand through carefully orchestrated education and communication campaigns. During its second phase (2015-2018), RFA worked to demonstrate the power of evidence-based policymaking in ways that resonate with an even broader universe of elected officials and policymakers. Now in its third phase of work, RFA intends to demonstrate that governments at all levels can make faster, more lasting progress in accelerating economic mobility for residents when they use evidence and data in decision-making. By creating specific issue-area wins, RFA will further cement support for evidence-based policymaking among all policymakers as the “new normal.”
RFA has developed an ambitious strategic communications agenda to drive, expand, and strengthen its work in this third phase of growth. In 2020, agenda goals include: facilitating policy wins and enlisting more evidence-based policy champions across all levels of government; increasing awareness of all RFA programs and initiatives; and strengthening RFA’s brand among high impact audiences, especially elected elected officials, senior staff and agency leaders, key influencers and thought leaders, funders, media, and engaged citizens. Achieving these goals will require a communications team that is versatile, nimble and capable of producing high-impact multimedia content.
To this end, Results for America is seeking an energetic, creative Communications Assistant with strong digital media, web and graphic design skills to support its 2020 goals and to make progress on its longer-term ambitions.
The Communications Assistant will report to the Vice President, Strategic Communications, and work closely with senior communications staff across RFA.
The Communications Assistant will help lead and facilitate work across RFA communications, digital storytelling, graphic design, events and special projects. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Help draft, design and distribute written materials to support RFA policy and program initiatives, including but not limited to blast emails, press releases, op-eds, reports, blogs and other content; and
- Manage and regularly update RFA’s internal and external contact lists
- Assist the Vice President of Strategic Communications in advancing communications initiatives across RFA;
- Lead the development and implementation of RFA's social media strategy across all programs and policy initiatives, using Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube and other platforms.
Graphic Design and Multimedia
- Design social media graphics, web graphics and other digital content;
- Help develop new multimedia content across all programs and policy initiatives, including but not limited to: short videos, data visualization projects and other creative content; and
- Create new web content and regularly update the Results for America and Moneyball for Government websites.
Events and Special Projects
- Assist in the development of invitations, graphics, branded promotional materials, and other content for events in partnership with other RFA event and communications staff;
- Assist with communications planning for all of RFA’s federal, state and local policy initiatives; and
- Other special projects support as requested.
- Help with expense tracking related to communications work; and
- Assist in coordinating communications meetings with RFA leadership and staff, as well as evidence champions outside the organization.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent writer, skilled in social media, with a strong creative bent and a desire to learn new communications skills. More specific qualifications include, but are not restricted to, the following:
- Strong commitment to the Results for America mission;
- Bachelor's degree and 2 to 3 years of relevant experience – with experience working in government, political campaigns, philanthropy and/or mission-driven non-profit organizations a plus, but not required;
- Strong experience in social media required;
- Graphic design and layout skills -- including experience using Adobe Illustrator/InDesign -- strongly preferred;
- Knowledge of electronic media such as Web sites, e-Newsletters, Social Media, & other Web 2.0 and comfortable learning new programs, as necessary;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office computer programs;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with the media and other stakeholders;
- Ability to take initiative and to prioritize and maintain multiple projects simultaneously;
- High degree of flexibility and ability to adapt to a changing environment; and
- An entrepreneurial learning orientation and an ability to consistently embrace and incorporate direct feedback.
Salary range and benefits package highly competitive.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. The subject line of your cover letter should read, "YOUR NAME - Communications Assistant".