Results for America is the leading, national nonprofit organization helping policymakers at all levels of government harness the power of evidence and data to solve the world’s greatest challenges. Our mission is to make investing in what works the “new normal,” so that, one day, all government leaders use rigorous evidence and quality data to inform important policy and funding decisions. We believe that data-driven and evidence-based policy decisions could significantly increase the impact of the over $1 trillion that governments spend annually to address the needs of the most vulnerable Americans.
Founded in 2012, RFA spent its first three years partnering with policy innovators to build the credibility of evidence-based policymaking, securing early and important wins in education, expanding its work to multiple levels of government and driving awareness and demand through carefully orchestrated education and communication campaigns. During its second phase (2015-2018), RFA worked to demonstrate the power of evidence-based policymaking in ways that resonate with an even broader universe of elected officials and policymakers. Now in its third phase of work, RFA intends to demonstrate that governments at all levels can make faster, more lasting progress in accelerating economic mobility for residents when they use evidence and data in decision-making. By creating specific issue-area wins, RFA will further cement support for evidence-based policymaking among all policymakers as the “new normal.”
RFA has developed an ambitious agenda of events and communications to drive, expand, and strengthen its work in this third phase of growth. In 2020, agenda goals include: facilitating policy wins and enlisting more evidence-based policy champions across all levels of government; increasing awareness of all RFA programs and initiatives; and strengthening RFA’s brand among high impact audiences, especially elected elected officials, senior staff and agency leaders, key influencers and thought leaders, funders, media, and engaged citizens. Achieving these goals will require an events and communications team that is versatile, nimble and capable of producing high-impact multimedia content.
To this end, Results for America is seeking a highly skilled, entrepreneurial Senior Manager, Events and Communications to support its 2020 goals and help fulfill its longer-term ambitions. This hybrid role, which spans both events planning and communications, will help RFA plan and execute its signature public and private events with policymakers and other high-impact audiences, while also promoting RFA’s major announcements and advancing communications strategies that highlight all of RFA’s programs and initiatives.
The Senior Manager, Events and Communications will report to the Vice President, Strategic Communications and work closely with other RFA communications and events staff.
The Senior Manager, Events and Communications will oversee the planning and execution of RFA public and private events and announcements, and will play a lead communications role promoting all of RFA’s programs and initiatives. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Planning for Public and Private Events and Major Announcements, including:
- RFA events with 2020 presidential candidates;
- Capitol Hill events featuring bipartisan lawmakers, Congressional staff and federal agency leaders;
- Events promoting the release of RFA’s standards of excellence, which highlight how leading federal, state and local governments are using evidence to improve results;
- Regular private convenings of RFA Education fellows, Workforce fellows, Economic Mobility Initiative City leaders;
- National events with policymakers, social entrepreneurs, philanthropic leaders, academics and other leaders to promote evidence-based policymaking;
- Public releases of new RFA content, including but not limited to books, impact reports and case studies;
Event Management and Production:
- Work closely with RFA program leaders and other events and communications staff to plan and execute events that advance RFA’s mission;
- Lead and implement promotional strategies to build turnout of target audiences at public events;
- Coordinate with policymakers and other event speakers and their teams ahead of public events;
- Work with outside organizations, including think tanks, other nonprofits and media partners, on joint events;
- Help improve RFA’s systems for managing events and communications.
- Oversee RFA’s events and announcements calendar to ensure that events and major announcements are spread evenly and strategically throughout the year;
- Develop communications materials for events, including but not limited to: event agendas and other planning documents, event invitations, media advisories, social media, and post-event recap pages on the RFA website;
- Assist the Vice President, Strategic Communications on other communications tasks, including drafting press releases, blast emails, op-eds, digital media and other content for major announcements; and
- Help design and implement new communications strategies targeting federal, state and local policymakers, media and other policy influencers to advance the use of evidence and data to improve results for the American people.
The ideal candidate will be a highly organized, detail-oriented master planner who enjoys pulling off successful events, and a skilled communicator who knows how to deliver targeted messages to diverse audiences. More specific qualifications included, but are not restricted to, the following:
- Strong commitment to the Results for America mission;
- Bachelor's degree and 7 to 10 years of relevant experience – with experience working in government, political campaigns, philanthropy and/or mission-driven non-profit organizations a plus, but not required;
- Experience planning and managing major events required;
- Experience using blast email systems (Constant Contact, MailChimp), event registration systems (EventBrite, RegFox), and CRM systems (Salesforce) preferred;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office computer programs and experience using design tools (Adobe Illustrator/InDesign) desired;
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communications skills;
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with policymakers, media and other stakeholders;
- Ability to take initiative and to prioritize and maintain multiple projects simultaneously;
- High degree of flexibility and ability to adapt to a changing environment; and
- An entrepreneurial learning orientation and an ability to consistently embrace and incorporate direct feedback.
This is a full-time, exempt position at 40 hours per week based in RFA’s Washington, D.C. office. There may be instances where the Senior Manager, Events and Communications is asked to work additional hours, as needed. Results for America is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages people from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply for positions within our organization.
Salary and benefits package are competitive.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject line of your email should read "YOUR NAME - Senior Manager, Events and Communications".