ABOUT THE RIDGE TRAIL
The Ridge Trail Council’s mission is to plan, promote and sustain a connected hiking, cycling and equestrian trail on the ridgelines around San Francisco Bay – linking people, parks and open space for today and future generations. We’re more than two-thirds of the way to our goal, with 380 miles of the ultimate 550-mile loop now complete.
The Council is a 30-year old stable nonprofit with a professional, well-respected staff, a dedicated and active Board of Directors, and an extensive cadre of volunteers. The office is currently located in the beautiful San Francisco Presidio and is served by a free shuttle to/from the Embarcadero BART and Transbay Terminal. An office location change is possible; good access via public transit would be a priority, and flexibility for remote work is possible.
The Volunteer and Events Coordinator leverages volunteer efforts and plans and organizes trail events that serve the Ridge Trail’s mission and strategic plan. He/she is responsible for creating volunteer opportunities and events that increase public-awareness, raise funds and attract and engage new Ridge Trail supporters. This position reports to the Trail Program Director and works closely with a team of 6-7 staff.
Trail Program Director
- Plan and develop volunteer program.
- Recruit and orient new volunteers, including advocates, outing leaders, trail stewardship volunteers, event volunteers, office helpers, or other professional skills
- Organize volunteer training, communication, tracking, and appreciation
- Plan, promote, and execute signature trail events (e.g. Ridge to Bridge) and volunteer events (e.g. Ridge Service Trail Day), as well as regular outings and smaller events, in collaboration with other staff.
- Coordinate with land agency partners on events and outings, serve as a liaison.
- Manage registration, participant communications, tracking, and reporting.
- Develop strategies to ensure events raise funds and bring in support from members, corporations, key partners, and attract new audiences.
- Recruit and manage volunteers at all events.
- Manage logistics and gear inventory for all events and outreach activities.
- Help plan and handle logistics for fundraisers, member and donor cultivation events.
Marketing / Outreach
- Create a marketing /communication plan for events in collaboration with other staff.
- Develop content for eNews, paper newsletter, and website posts.
- Collaborate with other staff on the Ridge Trail’s general social media marketing.
- Cultivate relationships / sponsorships with key stakeholders including other trail organizations, agency partners, and community and corporate partners.
- Support Council initiatives and committees.
- A passion for trails and strong interest in engaging and inspiring volunteers!
- Minimum 2 years related experience.
- Proficiency in Microsoft office. Working knowledge of Salesforce or other databases, Eventbrite, Photoshop, InDesign, Rallybound, Campaign Monitor, Google products a bonus.
- Proficiency in using social media (FB, Twitter, Instagram) to bolster participation and awareness.
- Strong written and verbal communications: comfortable with public presentations and writing for communications pieces.
- Ability to juggle deadlines and focus both on details and the big picture.
- Flexibility, creative problem solving, and an ability to thrive in a nonprofit environment.
- Ability to travel and work evenings and weekends when needed.
- Valid California Drivers’ License and access to a motor vehicle.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds (carry, set up and take down displays) and hike rough terrain.
- Knowledge of Bay Area trails, outdoor recreation, land use planning and/or advocacy is a plus.
The Council strives to pay competitive salaries within the nonprofit community and compensation is based on experience. Benefits include paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, medical, dental and vision coverage, and a 401K plan.
How to Apply
The Council is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse team. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter which incorporates responses to the questions below and salary objectives to careers-VEC@ridgetrail.org and indicate “Volunteer and Event Coordinator” in the subject line. If you are interested in less than full time work, please indicate that in your cover letter. Please visit https://ridgetrail.org/ for more information about the Ridge Trail.