American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
The Director of Development, CAS is a member of the development team supporting the College of Arts and Sciences as the major gifts officer and is responsible for achieving ambitious fundraising, solicitation, and visit goals, which are set annually. This position manages a prospect portfolio of at least 100 current or perspective donors, with giving capacities from $100,000+. The Director is expected to personally manage these relationships to cultivate, solicit, close gifts, and steward alumni donors, as well as identify and qualify new prospects. The Director is also responsible for assisting the development team lead in the planning and execution of engagement events and associated activities. In all these capacities, the Director will be required to collaborate with colleagues in other Schools and Colleges, as well as members of the central development and alumni relations staff. The Director participates in overall Office of Development and Alumni Relations activities in support of the broader objectives of the Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations.
- The worker normally performs their job indoors in an office environment.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Team Leader/Consultant B
- This position may require travel outside the Washington metropolitan area 20-40% of the time, as well as seasonal evening and weekend work for University events and programs.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree Philanthropic Studies or Bachelor's Degree Public Relations & Strategic Communication
- 5-8 Years' Progressively responsible development experience with at least four years of primary focus on identifying, cultivating, soliciting, closing, and stewarding corporate and foundation sponsorships, gifts, and grants.
- Skill using email, word processing, spreadsheet/ data analysis and presentation development software applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint while preparing briefings, reports and presentations
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master's Degree
- Familiarity with fundraising systems (Ellucian/CRM systems)
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Hiring for this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Major Gift Prospect Identification/Cultivation/Solicitation: Meet annual goals for personal performance established by the manager. Develop programs and strategies to identify, prioritize, cultivate, and solicit key individual prospects rated from $100,000+. Personally manage a portfolio of 100+ major gift prospects and achieve personal goals for prospect cultivation (measured by number of visits and contacts), solicitation and gift closure. Professionally and efficiently complete all communication, follow-up, and stewardship related to the ongoing cultivation and closure of gifts. Follow established standards for the documentation and acceptance of gifts. Record all contacts, strategies, and proposals in appropriate database systems. Submit all other required administrative paperwork in a timely manner.
- Prospect Management: Work in concert with other development, alumni relations, and prospect research colleagues to conduct entrepreneurial prospect identification and qualification.
- Fundraising Reporting & Recording: Conduct timely updating of reports, recording of action items in database, filing of appropriate donor records and updates, files and reconciles credit card receipts and cash reimbursements.
- Commensurate with experience
How to Apply
Please apply through our Career Portal at: https://careers.american.edu/Staff/job/Washington-Director-of-Development%2C-CAS-%2814445%29-DC-20016/619386100/