Vital Strategies, based in New York City, is an international public health organization. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities. Our specific programs include road safety, obesity prevention, tobacco control, and activities to strengthen public health data systems and the use of public health data to guide policy and decision-making. Activities are based in low and middle-income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies is looking for a Marketing and Communications Associate to join our PR and Marketing team and help us grow our brand awareness and recognition in the US and globally. Reporting to the PR & Marketing Manager, the Marketing and Communications Associate will be responsible for supporting the team in the execution of communication activities around the world that advance health and opportunity for all people.
The ideal candidate is a team player who thrives in a dynamic, fast-paced and collaborative environment. You’re a creative thinker, contributing new ideas about how to pitch stories or share information to audiences in new ways. You have a track record of taking initiative and driving results across multiple marketing and communications campaigns, channels, and projects. You are a superb writer, and have experience crafting compelling copy and content that sparkles across blogs, brochures, and newsletters. Importantly, you’re interested in learning more about a wide range of communications and passionate about our mission to make a difference in the world.
- Partner closely with our external communication team members (PR, digital, editorial, and design) to best execute Vital Strategies’ PR and marketing strategies, develop fresh story ideas and long-term communication strategies
- Source, develop, and write a diverse collection of stories and develop content for use in external marketing and publicity campaigns; support the team’s efforts to gather photos, record video, and capture testimonials
- Manage our Vital Stories blog; develop story ideas, create multimedia content, write blog posts, draft social posts and develop promotional strategies
- Provide copy and content for program brochures, media kits, blogs, briefings, bios, newsletter content, social media content, speaking proposals, presentations, videos, and landing pages
- Assist with research on media outlets, conferences, blogs, podcasts and other publicity opportunities and assist with pitching and outreach; maintain an up-to-date press contact and coverage list
- Assist with our Vital Talks breakfast series event and other events and convenings
- Track and analyze key metrics to monitor the success of marketing and publicity strategies, as well as monitoring media about the organization and the broader global health landscape
- Staff interviews and speaking appearances related to our work. Work alongside the external communications team to develop and train spokespeople for the organization, both in the U.S. and globally, as required
- Coordinate scheduling and logistics as required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 1-3 years working in a marketing, PR, advertising or communications role; Experience working across multiple marketing and publicity campaigns preferred, either in-house or at an agency
- Superb writing skills and experience writing across a variety of formats
- Basic photography, photo editing, and video editing skills
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills, and ability to think outside the box
- Strong project management skills; able to work on multiple projects simultaneously, set priorities, and meet deadlines
- Extremely interested in communication, PR and marketing strategy and global health and/or development issues
- Able to work independently with a high degree of initiative, organization, and attention to detail
- Able to work fast, meet deadlines, manage multiple tasks, and thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Non-profit experience a plus
Vital Strategies offers competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits. Vital Welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment.
How to Apply
Please submit a CV and cover letter through the Vital Strategies Career Center. Applications will be reviewed, and interviews conducted on a rolling-basis. The closing date for applications is April 3, 2020. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.