Results for America (RFA) is the leading, national nonprofit organization helping policymakers at all levels of government harness the power of evidence and data to solve the world’s greatest challenges. Our mission is to make investing in what works the “new normal,” so that, one day, all government leaders use rigorous evidence and quality data to inform important policy and funding decisions.
What Works Cities, a Bloomberg Philanthropies initiative, helps local governments across the country improve residents’ lives by using data and evidence effectively to tackle pressing challenges. Operating as a partnership between five non-profit organizations, WWC works directly with city leaders and staff through coaching and technical assistance, a range of online and in-person learning opportunities, and a growing professional network, all supported by a national standard of excellence in data-driven governance. Since our launch in 2015, we have helped more than 150 cities make progress in crucial areas, from health and public safety to homelessness and blight.
Results for America is seeking an individual to help build and implement core components of the WWC initiative related to the City Solutions team, whose work focuses on accelerating the adoption of programs, policies, and practices that have demonstrated success in helping cities solve their most difficult challenges. This will include building processes to help the team scale its work while also effectively supporting the network of cities already engaged with our City Solutions projects. The ideal candidate will have a background in public policy, specifically related to urban cities, and/or related government innovation experience.
Strong project management and interpersonal skills are essential, and the ability to work as part of a team is paramount. This person will report to the Director of City Solutions, but will work closely with all members of Results for America’s What Works Cities team to continue to grow the impact of What Works Cities nationally.
The Associate, City Solutions, will report to the Director, City Solutions.
The Associate, City Solutions will support the City Solutions team in its efforts to achieve the following:
- Improve the lives of more residents in more cities by supporting the adoption of effective interventions at the local level of government
- Establish proven models for spreading promising solutions across cities, and broadly share these models to inform other efforts to scale impact
- Help cities build the muscles of identifying, adapting, and adopting effective interventions from outside the city
- Develop the capabilities to identify, elevate, and rapidly scale and evaluate the impact of promising innovations
To achieve the above, the role will be organized around four core areas of work: (1) City Solutions research and development; (2) city cohort recruitment, management, and tracking; (3) program execution; and (4) grant management. Specific position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
City Solutions Research & Development
- Support research to identify promising local interventions that are addressing city challenges from across What Work Cities and Bloomberg Philanthropies network of cities
- Develop briefings for senior WWC and RfA leadership on promising interventions
- For interventions selected for replication, support the development of a replication strategy, including the identification of key stakeholders and mechanisms necessary to spread adoption
City Cohort Recruitment, Management, and Tracking
- Manage all efforts related to recruiting cities into the City Solutions cohorts, either for sprints or deep dive opportunities. This includes developing a strategy to target and recruit cities that may be particularly inclined toward the subject matter of given replication opportunity.
- Develop city application processes for a given opportunity, and support on-boarding from application through the launch of a new cohort.
- For an established cohort, support the management of communication with the group of cities, including developing mechanisms to track progress and provide support to cities while they are engaged with a City Solutions replication opportunity.
- Develop processes and mechanisms to collect stories of impact and progress for cities after they have completed a replication learning opportunity.
- Support the execution of City Solutions learning opportunities, including curriculum & resource development, webinar planning and execution, management of all necessary content on our learning management platform.
- Support the management of key partner relationships as necessary, toward project execution
- Support the provision of technical assistance by WWC to cities as needs arise
- Support the management of all grant related responsibilities for the City Solutions team’s Providence Talks replication initiative, as well as other grant responsibilities as they arise. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Developing reporting guidelines and templates
- Managing the report collection process from cities
- Working internally to ensure the RfA grants management team has all requisite information for grant disbursement
- Tracking impact across the portfolio for grantees, and sharing internally (via Salesforce) and externally with our partner, Bloomberg Philanthropies
- Support the Director of City Solutions with administrative work as requested.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree is required or equivalent experience.
- A minimum of 3 years of work experience or a graduate degree
- Experience with and passionate for government innovation at the local level.
- Strong organizational skills including capacity to manage and coordinate simultaneous projects and successfully prioritize among multiple tasks within a fast-paced initiative.
- Excellent written and analytical skills
- Ability to think creativity and incorporate creative insights into product and process design.
- Commitment to a collegial workplace
- Exceptional attention to detail and organization
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently in a very fast paced, results-oriented workplace
- High proficiency in project management software, Microsoft Suite, Google Suite
Desired but not Required Skills
- Experience using Salesforce, Adobe Creative Suite, and Tableau.
- Experience with grant management
Salary range and benefits package highly competitive.
How to Apply
If interested, please send a cover note, resume, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: “Associate, City Solutions – Your Name”. Please note that your cover note should be no longer than two paragrpahs and specifically detail your interest in this position.
Results for America is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages people from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply for positions within our organization.