The Public Interest Network Media Relations Manager
Attention Job Seekers: In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, we want to assure you that The Public Interest Network is actively hiring for this position, and we welcome your applications.
The Public Interest Network runs organizations committed to our vision of a better world, a set of core values, and a strategic approach to getting things done.
The mission of The Public Interest Network’s in-house media communications department is to strategically enhance public visibility of U.S. PIRG, Environment America and dozens of state and national affiliated organizations. We seek to elevate our organizational story and positioning through increased media mentions of The Public Interest Network’s campaigns and more interviews with our leadership and subject matter experts. Enhanced visibility should lead to greater name recognition, political clout and donations for The Public Interest Network to advance its causes.
Denver, CO or Washington, D.C.
Compensation & Benefits:
The Media Relations Manager will be the point person for garnering coverage from DC-centric and DC-based journalists and will be the main liaison between The Public Interest Network’s DC-based staff and the media. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Project Management: Take ownership of media campaigns from gestation to fruition, especially with our DC-based lobbying teams and our Philadelphia-based Consumer Watchdog program.
- Media Strategy: Develop comprehensive multifaceted communications strategies for ongoing and new campaigns.
- Writing: Write & assist in writing news releases, blogs, position statements, and internal memos.
- Editing: Edit internal and public-facing writing for consistency, clarity, and relevance.
- List Building: Build and maintain a list of media contacts.
- Networking: Add to network media lists through outreach to journalists.
- Story Pitching: Pitch stories to journalists using persuasive writing skills that match our stories to journalists’ needs.
- Digital Communication: Use social media to promote content, find journalists, and pitch stories.
Staff Supervision: Act as supervisor of interns and junior staff in absence of senior manager.
- Are a concise communicator who can advocate for causes and translate complex topics into layman’s terms
- Have writing samples that will impress even a grizzled, veteran journalist
- Are a leader who takes initiative and learns from mistakes
- Are goal-driven and results-oriented
- Are ready to fight for a better world but don’t see everyone who disagrees with you as the enemy. In fact, you seek transpartisan solutions to contentious issues.
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree and excellent academic credentials
- Preferably have 5+ years of experience in public/media relations, marketing and/or journalism
- Have extensive working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Preferably have prior experience volunteering or working with a nonprofit organization or political campaign
- Know how things work inside the Beltway, from Capitol Hill to the various Cabinet departments and other government agencies
- Preferably speak Spanish fluently or, at least, conversationally so we can expand our audience
- Have excellent judgment and discretion and the ability to oversee significant projects
- Can make a two-year commitment to the position
Compensation for this position is commensurate with relevant professional experience and/or advanced degrees. The Public Interest Network offers a competitive benefits package including extensive classroom and hands-on training.
How to Apply
Fill out our online application here: https://workforprogress.org/the-public-interest-network/?id=251&utm_source=PND&utm_medium=web-ad&utm_campaign=TPINspring2020&utm_term=251&utm_content=Media-Relations-Manager-for-National-Nonprofit-Network
Things To Know When You Apply
The Public Interest Network operates and supports organizations committed to a shared vision of a better world and a strategic approach to getting things done. Visit https://publicinterestnetwork.org/core-values.html for things you should know about our network when you apply.
Right now, our partner U.S PIRG is working to ensure that everyone who needs a COVID-19 test gets one. The pandemic has affected thousands of Americans, and killed dozens already, but doctors still can’t get tests for those that need it. Please take action by calling on the new testing chief to adopt a plan that will help ensure that everyone who needs a test gets a test: https://uspirg.webaction.org/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=37037
The Fund for the Public Interest is an equal opportunity employer.