About Grassroots International:
Grassroots International connects people in the US with global movements that defend land, territory, water, food, seeds and the earth. Together we address the root causes of injustice and oppression, and build alternatives that nurture human rights, ecological justice, and liberation. We do this through grantmaking, social action, and philanthropic leadership. As a public foundation, Grassroots International raises its budget annually. Our organizational culture is collaborative, relational, and deeply mission-driven.
This job will be a great opportunity for someone who is passionate about human rights and social movements/grassroots organizing and skilled in a variety of communications strategies, including writing. As this is a new position, the ideal candidate is someone who enjoys the challenge of developing new strategies and systems, collaboratively with a team.
Grassroots International seeks a Senior Communications Coordinator (SCC) to develop and manage the overall external communications and marketing strategy for Grassroots International (GRI). The SCC works in partnership with all staff to craft messages and communicate in ways that represent the values and the work of GRI and amplify the voices of our global movement partners. The SCC reports to the Executive Director and works closely with two part-time communications staff supervised by the Development Director. The full-time position is based in Boston, MA.
Communications and Messaging
- Develop and coordinate a comprehensive and strategic communications plan and calendar, including written, digital, visual and spoken messaging.
- Write articles and blogs for publication both in external publications as well as Grassroots International’s website, often as ghost writer or jointly authored with other staff.
- Collaborate with staff across departments to develop communications themes, materials and connections, and coordinate sharing of information and stories.
- Represent Grassroots International in public settings as appropriate.
- Develop and pursue strategies for earned media regarding the work of Grassroots International and its partners.
- Supervise communication consultants and potentially other staff in the future.
- Provide communications training for staff and board.
- Produce timely and relevant reports and information as needed by the Executive Director to communicate progress, challenges and status in communications activities.
Media and Marketing
- Develop and maintain relationships with journalists and media contacts
- Work in partnership with staff to create and implement a marketing plan including overseeing materials prepared for events and broader public, social media and website
- Promote Grassroots International, our partners and issues in external media
- Disseminate communications materials widely to key audiences
- Maintain a catalog of stories, images and resources
- Position Grassroots International as a philanthropic leader in our issue areas
- Write and disseminate press releases, press statements and other media resources on key issues and regions
- Commitment to the mission of Grassroots International; demonstrated commitment to human rights, ecological justice and social movements or community organizing.
- Exceptional writing, editing, oral and proofreading skills
- At least three years of experience (may be combination of paid and unpaid) in the field of communications.
- Ability to work as part of a team in a mission-driven and culturally diverse organization
- Demonstrated understanding of and ability to communicate about complex or controversial political issues, with accountability and deference to those most impacted by those issues.
- Ability to deliver quality products on tight deadlines.
- Flexibility and capacity to travel internationally, including maintenance of a valid passport.
- Authorization to work in the United States.
- Language competence or fluency in at least one of Grassroots International’s program languages (Arabic, French, Kreyol, Portuguese, or Spanish).
- Significant experience in the production of print and electronic publications, including knowledge of desktop publishing, social media, website authoring, video and narrative strategy
- Demonstrated success bringing press attention to social justice work, preferably global work
- Experience working with brand guidelines to build cohesive messaging.
- Experience with supervision, including peer supervision.
- Experience with Grassroots International or any of its partners.
Full-time position; starting salary $52,000 - $70,000 DOE; excellent benefits, including health, dental, disability, paid sick time and vacation, generous parental leave, and retirement.
How to Apply
To Apply: Send resume and a cover letter to: SCC2020@grassrootsonline.org with SCC and YOUR NAME in the subject line. In your cover letter, please be sure to explain one aspect of Grassroots International’s mission that is particularly compelling to you and why, and why you’re interested in this position specifically.
No phone calls please. Position open until filled.
Grassroots International is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Black people, indigenous people, people of color, immigrants, LGBTQ and gender nonconforming individuals, and women are strongly encouraged to apply. We actively recruit, and support the retention and advancement of, persons of diverse backgrounds within the organization. We believe that having a board, staff, and membership with diverse identities and backgrounds enhances our ability to meet our mission and creates a vibrant environment where individuals can learn, grow and thrive. To that end, we are committed to fostering a workplace culture where all employees are equally included, valued, and supported.
Authorization to work in the United States is required.