Water For People is a global nonprofit working across nine countries, bringing together communities, local entrepreneurs, and governments to build and maintain water and sanitation services that will last. We have a sustainable solution to end the global water and sanitation crisis, and our employees across the world help drive this solution.
The Director of Donor Engagement directs the design, development, and implementation of a donor relations program that fosters a culture of appreciation, recognition, accountability, and ongoing engagement with Water For People.
This position supports front line fundraisers’ prospect strategy development and management to increase likelihood of securing new and future contributions at all levels. Managing prospect engagement, stewardship activities, and programs for Water For People is central to the organization's long-term success and sustainability, creating opportunities that ensure we are exceeding prospects’ and donors’ needs and ensuring sustained and/or increased revenue for the organization.
Chief Development Officer
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
- Oversees fundraising strategy and programs for Volunteer Committees, Ambassadors, Peer to Peer, Monthly Giving, Impact Tours, World Water Corps, Safe Water Guardians, and other ‘base of pyramid’ programs
- Collaborates with Marketing and Communications Director, Creative Director, Director of Principle Gifts, and Chief Development Officer to ensure donor engagement programs and strategies align and support all revenue generating activities and strategies
- Develops and executes stewardship program, collaborating with Director of Principal Gifts on strategies for each $100,000+ account, as well as strategies for $1 - $99,000 donors
- Builds internal systems and processes around stewardship of donors, keeping Water For People accountable to timelines and deliverables, and working cross-departmentally
- Advises Marketing & Communications team on biannual campaigns and supports through analysis of mailing list segmentation
- Develops and oversees a comprehensive donor acknowledgement system, beginning with thoughtful donation acknowledgment messaging and practices, ensuring timeliness, and – when possible – personalization
- As needed, advises on the development of donor engagement tools including, but not limited to, EF Tracker, Annual Report, annual and biannual programmatic reports, organization’s website, etc
- Encourages a culture of gratitude, ensuring that all Water For People supporters are thanked, acknowledged, engaged, and inspired
- Recruits, motivates, organizes, manages, trains, and leads team in a manner which promotes professional development, while maintaining team focus on organizational priorities
- Builds alignment and consensus within the team around organizational goals
- Demonstrates leadership in cross-functional collaboration across the organization
- Sets individual contributor and team goals, and conducts performance reviews for direct reports
- Manages the budget and financial reporting for department activities
- Ensures team is following appropriate business processes, procedures, and policies
BEHAVIORS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Connect to Mission – Works to integrate own behaviors with the mission of the organization; connects the organization’s mission with established structure and activities; actively works to improve the capabilities of teams; actions and decisions are taken with the organization in mind
- Manage through Ambiguity – Adapts to people, shifting demands, and changing priorities with ease; creates clear picture of the importance and relevance of change; finds way to apply innovative ideas to enhance business results
- Demonstrate Cultural Awareness – Establishes an inclusive environment; is appreciative, affirming, and inclusive of all cultural backgrounds; demonstrates active listening, empathy and effective engagement to increase cultural competence
- Action-oriented – Integrates a variety of information or translates corporate strategy; drives innovation to create competitive edge; introduces substantive improvements to enhance performance throughout a functional area; creates something that stands out against the norm to help deliver industry-leading performance
- Sense of Team – Facilitates collaboration; invests in building relationships; advocates ideas and effectively negotiates to achieve mutually successful outcomes; knows and considers the capabilities of coworkers in own actions; brings people together across boundaries, leveraging differences to achieve results as a team
- Build Talent and Team – Builds sustainable talent pipeline; looks beyond own team, towards building organizational capacity; reviews employees’ capabilities to assess organization capacity to deliver on strategy; challenges individuals to champion the talent management agenda; benchmarks people capability and people processes
- Impact and Influence – Empowers teams to perform; appropriately uses the power of the position as well as personal influence to achieve outcomes; persuades others to willingly pursue a course of action against their initial inclination; creates a team spirit of excitement and positive motivation; holds the group/team accountable to higher goals based on greater empowerment
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience is required
- 5 years of Marketing and Fundraising experience preferred
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working in the nonprofit sector
- Proven track record establishing and analyzing strategy to build and implement internal systems and processes to track complex situations and optimize relationship growth, management, and communications is required
- Ability to think and act strategically at all levels: program, project, process, and prospect
- Ability to assess relationships and identify potential opportunities and solutions to challenges
- Great listening skills
- Strong project management skills
- Leadership skills, individual and team management skills, and effective upward management abilities
- Understanding of international issues and the complexity of solving the global water crisis
- Ability to effectively manage both the big picture and small details
- Experience working within a fast-paced, growing organization, and being an effective team player
- A creative thinker, with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience implementing a multi-faceted fundraising strategy is preferred
This is a exempt, full time position with a comprehensive benefits package. Salary range is $86,000 - $89,000 annually. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Water For People cannot provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Perks of working at our office space which is located at I-25 and Broadway:
- Employer-paid parking
- Walking distance from I-25 and Broadway RTD station
- Food trucks outside the office daily
- Dog friendly workplace
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Ability to travel 15-20% of the time domestically and internationally to low- and middle-income countries, where travel is rugged
- Open office environment
- This position is based at Water For People Headquarters in Denver, Colorado
How to Apply
Contact and Further Information:
If you are both qualified and Water For People interests you, please visit our Career Center and apply with your resume and cover letter to this position. Please no phone calls or in-person inquiries.
Deadline for submitting your application is 5 pm MDT, Monday, July 6th.