Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen is a non-sectarian program of the Church of the Holy Apostles. The mission of Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen is to feed the hungry, comfort the afflicted, seek justice for people experiencing homelessness, and provide hope and opportunity to those in need. The soup kitchen’s ultimate goal is to empower its guests to experience a more manageable and fulfilling way of life and it achieves this goal through the implementation of multiple meal programs, a robust social services department, and “Soup and Soul” programming that aims to meet the holistic needs of soup kitchen guests.
The position provides an excellent opportunity to gain significant experience in the nonprofit development and communications fields and learn through experience about advancing the cause of food justice. The Development Associate plays an important role by providing administrative support to the Fund Development & Communications Office and participating in all fundraising activities including donor relations, marketing and communications, direct mail appeals, and special events.
Director of Development and Communications
Database Management and Fund Development:
- Maintain accuracy of donor tracking systems and manage donor database, including data entry, data pulls, data clean-up, troubleshooting database issues, etc.
- Collaborate with the finance department to produce financial reports and support financial reconciliation
- Process donations, prepare acknowledgement letters, and support other stewardship activities for both soup kitchen donors and church parishioners
- Conduct research on individual, corporate, and foundation prospects
- Maintain foundation, corporation and individual donor files (on the database and server)
- Manage calendar of grant proposals and funder reports
- Assist in proposal writing, reports, and general correspondence
- Update organizational information on third-party charity evaluators such as Guidestar, Better Business Bureau, and Charity Navigator
- Manage logistics of monthly giving circle
- Assist in scheduling meetings with prospective funders and donors
- Serve as liaison between the development team and its vendors
- Perform basic administrative duties such as filing, data entry, maintaining a filing system, processing check requests for the development team’s vendors, invoicing and tracking payment status of various donors, and more
Communications and Marketing:
- Coordinate the production of a range of materials for donor solicitation and stewardship, including background materials and collateral to leave with funders
- Gather stories/testimonials from soup kitchen guests, clients, volunteers and donors
- Write engaging stories and create content for the soup kitchen’s communication vehicles, including but not limited to direct mail, e-newsletters, blog, and social media
- Support implementation of communications strategies across all communications vehicles (social media, eblasts, website, etc.)
- Survey guests, clients, and supporters to learn more about their commitment to and impact from Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen
- Prepare media materials for distribution. (i.e. copying, filing, mailing, e-mailing)
- Design flyers, digital & print advertisements and other outreach materials as needed.
- Design infographics and other visual elements that clearly communicate sometimes complex messages or concepts.
- Support branding campaigns and website improvements
Special Events and Community Engagement:
- Assist with planning and executing special fundraising events, funder site visits, and internet fundraising campaigns
- Support corporate engagement by scheduling corporate volunteer groups, facilitating corporate donations, and timely follow-up with impact reports
- Capture photos and curating content from special events including Holidays, Sunday Suppers, and external events where Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen is a participant (e.g. Street Fairs, Volunteer Recruitment Events, etc.)
Other duties as assigned by the Director of Development and Communications: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The successful candidate will be adaptable, entrepreneurial, collaborative, innovative, flexible, and a problem solver. The candidate’s work will be driven by strategic thinking and executed with creativity and efficiency. The candidate will demonstrate patience, commitment to treating others with respect, passion for social justice and social causes, and interest in nonprofit development and fundraising. Candidates for this job must meet the following qualifications:
- At least 1 year in nonprofit/business development experience in this or a related field, or internship equivalent
- Ability to maintain a high level of poise and professionalism in all circumstances
- Demonstrated ability to take primary responsibility for diverse number of projects and to complete them in a timely manner
- Detail and solutions-oriented with strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Critical thinker
- Exceptional online research skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, judgment, and the ability to maintain donor privacy and confidentiality
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team setting
- Willingness to seek appropriate direction and guidance from supervisors when needed.
- Solid knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Experience with Donor Perfect, MailChimp, and Volunteer Hub preferred
- Creative and positive mindset with the ability to think outside the box
- A strong commitment to and understanding of Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen’s mission and a passion for fundraising
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent life experience
- Spanish speaking a plus
The salary range for this job is between $50,000 and $60,000 annually plus a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject Line: Development Associate Application – [Insert Your Name Here]
In addition to your resume, please e-mail a cover letter stating why you want to work for Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen and what skills you have related to this job description that make you a great fit for the position. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.