Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen is a non-sectarian program of the Church of the Holy Apostles. The mission of Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen is to feed the hungry, comfort the afflicted, seek justice for people experiencing homelessness, and provide hope and opportunity to those in need. The soup kitchen’s ultimate goal is to empower its guests to experience a more manageable and fulfilling way of life and it achieves this goal through the implementation of multiple meal programs, a robust social services department, and “Soup and Soul” programming that aims to meet the holistic needs of soup kitchen guests.
The Communications Associate plays an important role by participating in all fundraising activities including donor relations, marketing and communications, direct mail appeals, and special events. The Communications Associate is responsible for managing the execution of daily communications across social media, websites, email and other formats. They are responsible for the creation of all digital content and high-quality 2D video content to share the Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen message.
Director of Development and Communications
Database Management and Fund Development:
- Support stewardship activities and acknowledgment systems for both soup kitchen donors and church parishioners on an as-needed basis
- Support planning and execution of corporate donor stewardship and fundraising events, including but not limited to Farm to Tray, Fast-A-Thon, flash fundraisers, and other campaigns
Communications and Marketing:
- Support the development of the organization’s year-round communications strategy, including developing communications strategies for special campaigns and events
- Manage implementation of communications strategies across all communications vehicles (social media, eblasts, website, etc.)
- Develop and implement overarching social media strategy and campaign-specific social strategies to engage followers in both the Church of the Holy Apostles and Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen’s core values and initiatives
- Define metrics and key performance indicators to measure the success and impact of efforts across all communications channels
- Manage the soup kitchen blog by developing and posting blog posts that 1) engage the organization’s various audiences (guests, volunteers, donors, culinary figures, etc.); and 2) raise awareness about food insecurity and homelessness.
- Manage the soup kitchen’s monthly e-newsletter, repurposing social media content and blog posts for broader distribution
- Support the production of a range of materials for donor solicitation and stewardship, including background materials, donor newsletters, the annual report, and collateral to leave with funders
- Gather stories, testimonials, and photos from soup kitchen guests, clients, volunteers and donors
- Write engaging stories and create content for the soup kitchen’s communication vehicles, including but not limited to direct mail, e-newsletters, blog, and social media
- Survey guests, clients, and supporters to learn more about their commitment to and impact from Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen
- Increase social media engagement, channel growth, and traffic from social channels to blog/website
- Engage the organization’s media committee on a year-round basis for special social media activations and campaigns
- Assemble media and donor kits for events/meetings, special campaigns, etc.
- Design flyers, digital & print advertisements and other outreach materials as needed.
- Design infographics and other visual elements that clearly communicate sometimes complex messages or concepts.
- Support branding campaigns and website improvements
Special Events and Community Engagement:
- Assist with planning and executing special fundraising events, funder site visits, and internet fundraising campaigns
- Update the guest and volunteer slideshow on an as-needed basis
- Capture photos and curate content from special events including Holidays, Sunday Suppers, and external events where Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen is a participant (e.g. Street Fairs, Volunteer Recruitment Events, etc.)
Other duties as assigned by the Director of Development and Communications: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The successful candidate will be adaptable, entrepreneurial, collaborative, innovative, flexible, and a problem solver. The candidate’s work will be driven by strategic thinking and executed with creativity and efficiency. The candidate will demonstrate patience, commitment to treating others with respect, passion for social justice and social causes, and interest in nonprofit development and fundraising. Candidates for this job must meet the following qualifications:
- At least 1 year in nonprofit/business development experience in this or a related field, or internship equivalent
- Ability to maintain a high level of poise and professionalism in all circumstances
- Demonstrated ability to take primary responsibility for diverse number of projects and to complete them in a timely manner
- Detail and solutions-oriented with strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations
- Critical thinker
- Exceptional online research skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, judgment, and the ability to maintain donor privacy and confidentiality
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team setting
- Willingness to seek appropriate direction and guidance from supervisors when needed.
- Solid knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint
- Experience with Donor Perfect, MailChimp, and Volunteer Hub preferred
- Creative and positive mindset with the ability to think outside the box
- A strong commitment to and understanding of Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen’s mission and a passion for fundraising
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent life experience
- Spanish speaking a plus
The salary range for this position is between $50,000 and $60,000 annually plus a comprehensive benefits package.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Communications Associate Application – [Insert Your Name Here].
In addition to your resume, please e-mail a cover letter stating why you want to work for Holy Apostles Soup Kitchen and what skills you have related to this job description that make you a great fit for the position. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.