Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Conservation International (CI), the Pew Charitable Trusts (Pew) other private and public partners have joined together to launch the Blue Nature Alliance (the Alliance) with the aim to catalyze actions to conserve 18 million square kilometers of ocean (approximately 5 percent of the global ocean) to safeguard global ocean biodiversity, build resilience to climate change, promote human wellbeing, and enhance ecosystem connectivity and function. The Blue Nature Alliance aims to invest in approximately 40-60 ocean conservation areas globally by 2025. The Blue Nature Alliance Grants & Contracts Manager will be part of a fast-paced, collaborative, and dynamic team that aims to make outsized impact for the ocean. The position will report to the Vice President External Grants & Contracts within the Finance Department at Conservation International.
The Blue Nature Alliance Grants & Contracts Manager position oversees a global portfolio of sub-awards implemented by a wide range of organizations from local community-based organizations to international not-for-profit organizations, consulting firms and individual experts. The Manager coordinates the full cycle sub-award process from calls for proposals, through due diligence, award negotiation, implementation oversight and financial compliance to close out. The Manager has primary responsibility for ensuring that the Blue Nature Alliance portfolio of grants and contracts are awarded and managed transparently, efficiently, in compliance with all Alliance policies and procedures. Successful candidates for this position will have experience in procurement, sub-grant management or other finance related field, ability to professionally communicate with all levels of management both inside and outside of CI and uphold the highest standards of integrity.
- Provide reliable and solution-oriented support to Blue Nature Alliance program staff;
- Support the full outgoing grant and contract award cycle, preparing calls for proposals, agreements, amendments, close out letters;
- Interpret and explain Blue Nature Alliance and prime donor policies to colleagues and sub-recipients;
- Ensure that prime donor terms and conditions are reflected in sub-award agreements with all grantees and consultants;
- Review and analyze all pre-award financial due diligence documentation to assess financial capacity and internal controls of sub-grantees; establish appropriate financial risk mitigation measures;
- Review and analyze financial reports and supporting expense documentation submitted by sub-recipients;
- Process or approve agreements, amendments and payments for assigned portfolios;
- Ensure all procurement under sub-awards is executed in compliance with prime donor policies;
- Deliver training in sub-award management and procurement to colleagues and sub-recipients around the world virtually and in-person;
- Conduct on-site field assessments of financial and contractual compliance of sub-awards;
- Support and champion user adoption of new Salesforce-based grants management system delivering live support and training to colleagues and sub-grantees.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a finance-related field.
- 3-5 years of experience in a not-for profit setting working in grants management, procurement or finance.
- Fluency in any of the following languages: French, Spanish, or Portuguese
- Experience with public, multi-lateral donor rules and regulations;
- Strong computer skills including intermediate Excel, familiarity with databases, and cloud-based document management systems and collaboration tools.
- Experience mentoring or training staff or implementing partners;
- Demonstrated understanding of the cultural context and challenges of working in diverse geographic regions, including in developing countries and remote small island states.
- Comfortable managing multiple duties and adapting to changing priorities.
- Ability to work under general supervision and take initiative to solve problems under supervisor direction.
- Positive attitude and ability to overcome obstacles to achieve ambitious targets