Candid is looking for an outstanding researcher to lead our efforts to find meaning in data about the social sector. The Senior Director of Research will manage Candid’s research team, oversee our analytical strategy, guide the execution of research projects based on the billions of pieces of data in our databases, and build learning partnerships with colleagues around the world.
See the world. Make it better.
On February 1, 2019 Foundation Center and GuideStar joined forces to become Candid, a 501c3 nonprofit organization. Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it.
Every year, millions of nonprofits spend trillions of dollars around the world. Candid finds out where that money comes from, where it goes, and why it matters. Through research, collaboration, and training, Candid connects people who want to change the world to the resources they need to do it. Candid’s data tools on nonprofits, foundations, and grants are the most comprehensive in the world.
Candid’s vision is an ambitious one. But we know that when we make investments in our talent, it translates to more access and better knowledge for those working for social good around the world.
Position: SeniorDirector of Research
Reporting to: ExecutiveVice President
Supervises: Director of Research and Director of Research Standards
Location: Flexible, with preference given to candidates located in cities where Candid has a larger staff base (Atlanta, Cleveland, New York City, Oakland, Washington D.C., and Williamsburg, VA)
The Insights Division finds meaning in Candid’s data. The Senior Director of Research is responsible for executing Candid’s research agenda and managing the day-to-day operations of the Insights Division.
- Help establish, evolve, and execute Candid’s research strategy and agenda.
- Oversee the operations of Candid’s research team: management, hiring, budgeting, and project management.
- Serve as product owner and liaison for select research and partnership projects, from conceptualization/design, implementation, analysis, writing, and reporting.
- Design and provide consultation for research projects that apply valid scientific techniques and statistical methods in order to answer questions about the social sector and identify new patterns and relationships.
- Work with the team to ensure strong systems for grants and contract management, project design and completion.
- Build strong working relationships with teams across Candid—Networks, Data Services, Products, etc.—to advance research goals and improve the quality and relevance of Candid data, products, and services.
- Support partners around the globe seeking Candid’s analytical assistance with research across a range of social sector issues. Develop and build collaborative partnerships as needed for data collection, analysis, and distribution.
- Work with Communications and Development staff to develop and execute strategies for promoting and disseminating findings and outcomes of research for use by non-researchers working to create change, including through data visualization and other accessible media.
- Represent Candid on national and international committees and at conferences, webinars, and other events.
- Publish and develop white papers and other thought pieces around key topics and issues independently and/or in partnership with other influential sector leaders.
- Travel nationally and internationally, as needed.
- Training in quantitative social science research methodology (e.g., statistics, survey research, or other methodologies.) Doctoral degree preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of social sector’s use of data, as well familiarity with related challenges, trends, and opportunities.
- Passion for the use of data, research, and technology to improve knowledge about and the practices of the social sector.
- Demonstrated understanding, commitment, and openness to equity principles in research.
- Excellent writing, analytical, and verbal presentation skills.
- Strong team management, mentorship, planning, organizing, and budgeting skills, and a commitment to collaboration and accountability.
- Ten years of experience in or work with the social sector preferred, with a track record that demonstrates initiative, creative problem solving, sound judgment, and follow-through.
- Proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite is assumed. Experience with analytical/research tools preferred (SQL, SAS, R, Python). Proficiency with data visualization tools, web design, and GIS is a plus. Knowledge of Agile and/or user experience methodologies preferred.
- Sensitivity and respect for racial, gender, sexual orientation, and cultural differences.
- Champions and represents Candid’s core values: We’re driven, direct, accessible, curious, and inclusive.
- Willingness to perform other duties and special projects as needed/requested.
How to Apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the title of the position you are applying for in the subject line. Your application will only be considered if all instructions above are met.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. Due to the high volume of applicants we typically receive, we regret that we can only contact candidates that we would like to interview.
For more information on positions available at Candid, please visit our website: https://candid.org/about/work-at-candid
Candid is an EO/AA/VET/DISABLED Employer.
We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.