Who We Are
The Montclair Foundation is a community catalyst that inspires ideas and ignites action to improve the quality of life in Montclair. Since being established in 1979, The Montclair Foundation has awarded over $2.5 million dollars in grants to not-for-profit organizations that support the health, educational, cultural, social service and quality of life needs in the greater Montclair area. For instance, our most recent initiative included awarding $75,000 in expedited grants to address food supplies, homelessness, medical services, and mental health support and establishing a separate emergency fund in direct response to the hardships the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic placed on our Community.
Equally important is the Foundation’s strong commitment to the preservation of the historic Van Vleck House & Gardens. Built in 1916 by Joseph Van Vleck Jr., the House and its 5.8 acres of gardens and green space are often referred to as “Montclair’s Central Park”. VVH&G is owned by The Montclair Foundation and the grounds are open daily, free of charge, for public enjoyment. The second floor of the House is home to local foundations and the main floor and grounds available to nonprofit groups for meetings, retreats and fundraisers.
The Executive Director serves as Chief Executive Officer and Spokesperson for The Montclair Foundation and Van Vleck House & Gardens. This role will focus on evolving the vision and strategy for the organizations, providing day to day operational leadership for our staff and volunteers, property and financial management, program development and fundraising.
The Montclair Foundation Chair
Strategic and Visionary Leadership
- Provide strategic direction and leadership to the Foundation to foster and ensure growth and sustainability.
- Develop, recruit and supervise administrative and garden staff, as well as our team of volunteers.
- Partner with the Board of Trustees and its sub-committees to develop and interpret policies, strategies, and plans.
- Assists the Board with recruiting and developing capable and passionate members.
Patron/Member Experience and Programming for VVH&G
- Oversee and manage all aspects of day to day operations to ensure the consistent delivery of a high-quality member experience.
- Create and evolve programming that meets the current and future needs of the Community.
- Provide financial management and oversight including development of the annual operating budget, ensure maximum resource utilization, and maintain fiscal integrity.
Fundraising, Advocacy, and Community Engagement
- In conjunction with the Director of Development, provide leadership in designing and directing all fundraising programs, including annual support, endowment, capital campaign and grants.
- Develop and maintain partnerships in the Community with business and civic leaders, and other select organizations and agencies.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Strategic, analytical, and hands-on leadership skills.
- At least ten years of progressively responsible operational and management experience, including five years in a supervisory role.
- Experience in generating earned revenue of $2 million or more.
- Demonstrated ability to develop relationships and engage with community and corporate partners, civic leaders, staff and members.
- Experience working with a Board of Trustees and managing fund-raising campaigns.
- Budget management experience required.
- Demonstrated ability to create an inclusive team culture.
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills that can be adapted based on audience.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Salary Range: $80,000 - $85,000, health insurance and 4-weeks vacation
Why Work with Us
Montclair has a strong sense of place. It is diverse and values education, beauty, and the arts. Most importantly, Montclair takes care of those in need. The Montclair Foundation has nurtured this special community for decades through its grant making to organizations and programs that make Montclair a wonderful place to live. Needs change over time and the dexterity of our grants program has allowed us to address a diverse range of issues including the opioid crisis, homelessness, the film festival, job training, and more.
The hybrid mission of The Montclair Foundation – (1) grant making and (2) operating Van Vleck House & Gardens – is rare among community foundations. Van Vleck House & Gardens uplifting sense of place is at the heart of our grant making and a reminder that nature and its inspiring beauty are essential to a healthy community. While most community foundations are housed in an office building, TMF resides within a historic home situated in an exquisite garden, where good truly grows
How to Apply
Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com by September 8, 2020