Gowanus Canal Conservancy advocates and cares for ecologically sustainable parks and public spaces in the Gowanus lowlands while empowering a community of stewards. Since 2006, we have served as the environmental steward for the neighborhood through leading grassroots volunteer projects; educating students on environmental issues; and working with agencies, elected officials, and the community to advocate for, build, and maintain innovative green infrastructure around the Gowanus Canal. We envision a Gowanus Canal and surrounding urban environment that is clean, resilient, diverse and alive.
Over the past few years we have grown quickly to meet the environmental planning and advocacy needs in the neighborhood. The current crisis has both elevated how essential parks and public space are to our neighborhoods, and undercut public dollars to maintain these spaces, making our advocacy and stewardship work that much more important. We are seeking a Development Director that can manage and sustain our existing fundraising, while strategically planning for sustainable growth. The ideal candidate is entrepreneurial, creative, detail oriented, and an excellent communicator, with an interest in urban environmental issues and/or the Gowanus neighborhood and experience with fundraising from individuals and foundations in NYC. This position will report to the Executive Director. We are a small organization with a dynamic team - the ideal candidate will be excited to collaborate with the ED, Board, and staff to align fundraising with the advocacy and programs of the growing organization.
- Lead development and implementation of strategic plan for sustainable stewardship and growth of the organizational budget, aligned with GCC mission, vision and strategic plan
- Work with the Fundraising Chair to manage Board Fundraising Committee
- Manage relationships with Board Members to renew and solicit new support
- Develop and execute Individual Giving strategy
- Renew and solicit new support
- Cultivate and steward relationships with individual donors
- Rebrand and relaunch Membership program
- Develop and execute Foundation and Corporate Giving strategies
- Renew and solicit new support
- Manage relationships with grantors
- Write grant proposals
- Coordinate with program staff on grant management
- Support staff management of Government grants
- Oversee planning and execution of special events, including our annual Gala
- Track all fundraising deliverables in Salesforce database
- Work with Communications Coordinator to hone organizational and program narrative
- 3-5 years comparable nonprofit experience with demonstrated fundraising success
- Entrepreneurial and strategic thinker, with experience implementing strategy
- Interest in and ability to articulate complex urban environmental issues
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- A great team player
- Working knowledge of Excel and Salesforce or other donor databases
- Familiarity and experience with NYC fundraising highly desirable
Salary commensurate with experience. Competitive benefits package includes 50% coverage of company health care policy, FSA, 401(k), commuter benefits, life insurance, generous paid time off and paid parental leave.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter describing your interest and qualifications, resume, and three references to andrea (at) gowanuscanalconservancy.org
Gowanus Canal Conservancy is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all racial, ethnic and religious backgrounds to apply.