The California Academy of Sciences is a renowned scientific and educational institution dedicated to exploring, explaining, and sustaining life. Based in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park, it is home to a world-class aquarium, planetarium, and natural history museum, as well as innovative programs in scientific research and education—all under one living roof.
We hope you are inspired by what we do and are excited to contribute to our mission. The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work, and we know they may come from a number of different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you don't believe you meet every one of the qualifications for the position.
Reporting to the Associate Director of Foundation Philanthropy, the Foundation Giving Officer will work with a portfolio of foundation donors and prospects, and will spend a majority of their time cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding grants in support of Academy exhibits and programs in scientific research, education, and sustainability. This position will help build a strong financial base for the Corporate & Foundation Philanthropy team through the acquisition and retention of new and existing donors. This is a full-time position.
Associate Director, Foundation Philanthropy
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND FUNCTIONS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable persons with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain a portfolio of foundation donors in the $10,000 to $100,000+ range
- Develop compelling proposals for Academy-wide programs; write proposal templates and reports; research and write proposal attachments for institutional funders
- Fulfill stewardship activities and outstanding reports in a timely manner, including grant reports, site visits, thank you notes, and endowment reports; work with program and/or project staff to collect information and data on programmatic outcomes
- Assist with donor strategy development in collaboration with Academy leadership and program staff as required
- Engage with donors and prospects through phone calls, emails, and in-person meetings
- Serve as a content expert on Academy projects, such as environmental issues, sustainability solutions, education, and related special projects
- Conduct prospect research to identify new institutional funding opportunities on a regular basis
- Maintain accurate and timely records of all interactions with prospects and donors using Tessitura fundraising software
- Manage a grants calendar for foundation philanthropy to ensure timely submission of proposals and reports; update grant deadlines in donor database as required
- Provide event support (periodically on evenings and weekends)
- Follow all Academy safety regulations
- Other duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including ability to produce error-free correspondence and describe complex programs
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects
- Demonstrated success delivering high-quality work and meeting deadlines
- Proactive and solutions-oriented approach to challenges
- Ability to work collegially in a team environment but also independently in an effective and productive manner
- Computer proficiency and ability to learn new software quickly
- Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- G Suite (Google Apps) experience preferred
- Demonstrated database experience, particularly with Tessitura, is a plus
- Comfort working in grant research portals preferred
- Demonstrated interest and/or expertise in scientific concepts related to biodiversity, sustainability, and the natural world preferred
- Ability to interact well with people at all levels, particularly program staff and donors
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups or individuals. Bilingual (spoken and/or written) in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, or other non-English language preferred but not necessary.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable persons with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. Must be able to lift 25 lbs. Must be able to perform repetitive motions 80% of the time.
In observance of the latest guidelines from local and state public health authorities, the Academy is temporarily closed to the public. While this position would normally be expected to work in the Academy offices with the rest of the Development Division, under current operations the position is expected to be primarily remote for the time being.
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume online at https://californiaacademyofsciences.applytojob.com/apply/zvS6ae0jFQ/Foundation-Giving-Officer?source=PND Note that the recruitment timeline for positions vary and depend on many factors, so it is impossible to accurately predict when a position will close. We appreciate your patience during this process. No phone calls please.